Chapter Eighteen

A few days had passed since you had spent the night with JJ

A few days had passed since you had spent the night with JJ. You had not seen or heard from him since that morning when Kiara and Pope were on him for seeing you. You decided to spend the day with Becca and go surfing like you used to. The two of you were laying on your surfboards in the sand soaking up the sun.

"I want you to know that I do support you ," Becca began. "You seem so much happier now that you're with JJ."

"He makes me happy," You smiled. "It's like when I'm with him nothing else matters and nothing on the OBX can get between us. It's cheesy, I know."

"As long as he makes you happy then I approve. Pogue or Kook," She smiled.

It was nice to finally have someone on your side when it came to your relationship. Becca may have been with your brother, but she was supportive of you and JJ. It felt like nobody else was.

You and Becca stayed on the beach until the sun began to set. The two of you headed to a restaurant near the docks to grab dinner. You didn't realize how hungry you were from surfing all day until the food sat in front of you.

"They have the best shrimp and grits," Becca said as she took a spoonful in her mouth.

"Their cheese sticks are absolutely superb," You jokingly tried sounding like a food critic.

The two of you laughed and reminisced about old memories and gossip between the Kooks. You were halfway done with your meal when the entirety of the restaurant reflected a flashing red and blue. The lights were coming from the docks. You and Becca gave each other a brief look before she placed money on the table. You followed her out of the restaurant to find cop cars surrounding the docks and people trying to find out what was going on. You could see police boats coming in from the distance with their lights on directing a towboat. You grabbed Becca and snuck past the cop car barrier. The two of you hid in a small storage area on the dock where you could still  see everything.

"It reeks of fish," Becca whispered.

You hushed her before you noticed a familiar group of Pogues standing with the sheriff. It was Kiara, Pope, and JJ. Were they involved in whatever was going on? They didn't say anything. You were close enough that if they spoke, you could hear. The lights from the police boats got brighter as they got closer. You kept looking at JJ and his facial expression. It didn't seem to change. It was his typical stern blank expression. The towboat eventually got to the dock alongside the cops. It was carrying another boat, or at least the remains of a boat. JJ's face change. He looked broken.

"It's the Phantom."