10: Ratchet💅

Kam

Asa's best friend, Kosi, worked at Ratchet, a beauty/clothing store that sold everything concerning imperial femaleness. It was a spa, waxing, hair and make up salon and clothing store, wrapped up in one huge elegant complex.

I walked into the building and my senses were immediately assaulted by the scent of jasmine and lavender and essential oil. A sickly sweet scent that didn't let me breathe properly.

I found Kosi immediately, battling with a mannequin.

"Stay, you stupid life sized doll!" She shrieked, totally manhandling the poor mannequin, with exaggerated aggression.

"Uh, Hey-"

She immediately turned to look at me with a fake close eyed smile, adopting a professional stance, letting the mannequin fall to the ground. "Ho ho ho, I'll be your hoe for the dough. How may I help you?"

I cringed. "Uh... What?"

The moment she heard my voice, her eyes flew open and the professional smile she had painted on, melted off her face. "Oh, it's you, Kam. Sorry about that, they pay us to say that to all of our customers. All." She shivered, then beamed back at me. "So what do you want?"

If Asa was the moon, Kosi was an infectious star. She was a bright and energetic person that never let anything get to her and I was glad Asa had someone as confident and bubbly as her for a best friend.

She was very beautiful, with shiny dark cocoa skin, a round, almost child-like face, and clothes that emphasized her assets. Kosi was pretty famous as this huge social media influencer and brand ambassador. I know she started her own clothing line at fifteen under the help of her mother. At her age, she was already a self-made millionaire, insta model and afro-pop culture icon. She was amazing in her own right, and I wondered why she worked at Ratchet, when she already had so much going for her.

Her outfits usually showcased how edgy and confident she was. Right now, she was wearing a very tight, white, off-the-shoulder crop top, the words, Sassy, Moody, Nasty, in bold prints in front. She had suspenders, hooked to her body hugging skirt, placed a few inches under her belly button, where her belly piercing peeked out. Her hair was always in long black braids with pink tips, rhinestone clips, holding them away from her face, long boots that ended around her thighs. Her name tag, read Kosy, in cursive.

"I need your help."

"Not helping." She quipped, turning to walk away from me.

"Wait, what?" I followed her as she started sifting through clothes on the hangers.

"You heard me."

"Why?"

"It's girl code. You break her heart, I break your kneecaps. Except, I'm waiting for the right opportunity, you know? Gotta do it when you least expect it."

She said it with a neutral expression as she removed a shirt from the rack and placed it in a different rack.

I didn't know whether to take her seriously.

"Kosi, I'm serious."

She turned to look at me, her face, a hardened glare. She folded her arms and stuck out her left leg, giving me sassy attitude. "You think I'm joking? You think all this is a fucking joke to you? You hurt my best friend, Kam and I don't know the full deets but I swear to God, I'll take on anyone for her, man or monster. So you can take your no good, Golden boy persona and stick it where the sun don't shine."