14: Offshore🌄🎑

Asa

Offshore was a man-made island, located off the West coast of Lagos. I've never been there because you have to be the richest of the richest to step foot there.

Jemi's father owned, bought and sold a lot of properties in Offshore and last time I read, he and his wife owned grossly forty five percent of the properties in Offshore.

Jemi has been there a few times, on some business trips with his father and when we asked him how offshore was, he just shrugged and said, "it's overhyped."

Yet we all knew how terribly difficult it was to impress Jemi and he favoured casual nonchalance over excitement.

People said it was a mix between Dubai, Japan and the dream Africa, with the best roads and buildings in the continent and vibrant bursts of wildlife and cleaner air. Where houses focused on protecting the environment, powered by large solar panels, with roofs that housed gardens and trees.

Offshore was ran by a seperate government that was independent of the main Nigerian federal government and they had power and control over all of Offshore.

They taxed cars mercilessly, so rich folks that lived there never had more than two cars. Power outages was a foreign concept in Offshore as they relied on Solar, wind and hydroelectric power. These, combined with the Going Green movement, a movement that sprang up, early this year, advocating for better treatment of the environment, made Offshore a destination for tourists and residents who wanted to breathe cleaner air and escape the cruel clutches of consumerism.

"Oh my fucking God, Asa pinch me. I think I'm in Wakanda."

"What gave it away? Is it the glowing buildings or the flying cars?" Lola asked sarcastically.

"No, Lola, it's the motherfucking smoking hot-chocolate boys!" She suddenly poked her head out of her window. "Yo! What's good? Nice ass!" She hollered, honking noisily and causing people to stare our way.

"Jesus, Kosi, shut the fuck up!" I snapped at her, pulling her back and strapping her to her seat. "You're going to get us arrested."

"B...but... I... They... Sparkly boys!" She pouted at me.

"You need to stop reading those twilight fanfictions, Kosi. They're rotting your brain."

She responded by giving me a saccharine smile and showing me her middle finger.

I rolled my eyes, settling back into my seat.

Lola laughed. "It's good you're single, Kosi. At least, you can try your luck with one of the locals here."

That seemed to pacify Kosi as she drove quietly to our destination. A large two storey twelve room beach Villa, sitting imposingly on large acres of land, complete with a private pool and large backyard with fields that stretched on for miles, overlooking the Atlantic ocean.

"We're in Offshore babies!" We heard Jordan hollering loudly from inside the house as we lugged our bags into the majestic building.

"Help us with our bags, guy!" Kosi grunted, struggling with her six trunks, three backpacks and several makeup kits.

Her trunks full of shoes and jewelry were still in the car.

"What happened to feminism?" Jordan asked.

Kosi shot him a glare. "Do you want to die?"

"Uh. No ma'am. I'll help you with your -oof!"

Kosi threw one of her backpacks into his arms. "Thanks, cupcake." Kosi blew him a kiss, walking into the multimillion naira villa that reeked of wealth and opulence.