46: Interviews🛣️

Asa

The mtn number you're trying to call is currently switched off. Please try again-

I slammed my already battered phone on the dining table, groaning and gripping my head tight.

I forced myself into coming up with a reasonable explanation why Kam hadn't come home all night.

Yes! All night!

The only thing stopping me from freaking out completely was that I remembered his promise.

I'll come back to you. I promise.

But he didn't.

He promised.

I folded my hands on the table, burying my head in them, my heart, twisting in my chest, a huge lump, forming in my guts.

Forever and ever. He promised.

I took a deep breath, my heart somersaulting. Trembling hands, gripping my head, trying to focus on my breathing.

But the dread rising in the pit of my stomach made me want to puke my guts out.

I've been up since four, decided to stop deceiving myself.

I hadn't slept a wink all night. Partly because, I was scared of having more nightmares, seeing as my usual bed-buddy was currently AWOL. And partly because I thought he'd call, at least.

I ended up pulling an all-nighter with Amir as I reveiwed topics I'd read three times over already. Amir had been so considerate and patient, anytime I started freaking out again, he was quick to reassure me.

In the end, he had passed out on my bed, in the middle of explaining a difficult Further Maths question to me. I had tried. I had honestly tried to sleep but I kept tossing and turning and my heart wouldn't stop somersaulting.

Wait for me, Asa. I'll come back to you.

I had to wait and be patient. A part of me was worried out of my mind... What if something had happened to him? An accident... What if he really tried coming back yesterday but got arrested?

Oh God!

What if... What if...

I gulped, swallowing yet another lump.

"Anxiety is very unbecoming of you." Amir grunted, stretching and walking into the kitchen.

"He's not back."

He shrugged, opening the refrigerator and pulling out a jar of orange juice.

Rinsing two glasses, he poured some orange juice into each of them and slid one of the glasses to me, keeping one for himself.

He made himself comfortable on the barstool opposite me, a worried scowl, replacing his usually bored, uninterested look.

"You think something happened?"

My heart went to the gold necklace Kam had gifted me, days ago, gripping tight. "I don't know, Amir." I whispered, my voice, coming out hoarse.