08: Pity Party🌆

Asa

*

After a quick text to Jemi and Kosi, telling them I was leaving, and another to Lola, who wanted to know how I was doing, I met Amir outside who was leaning all cool and dignified against Dave's Land Rover.

"This is technically stealing." I laughed, buckling my seatbelt.

"Oh, it's a normal thing for us, taking each other's ride. Dave crashed my Ferrari once. Made it out alive and unscathed but my baby didn't."

My hands flew to my mouth as I stared at him in horror. "Jeezus, Amir."

He waved it off nonchalantly. "T'sokay. It was an old model anyway. Daddy dearest replaced it right away."

The way he sneered as he talked about his father made me remember something.

"You don't like your dad?"

His reply was a shrug, a scowl on his beautiful face. "My dad doesn't even realize I exist. Makes the whole business of hating him kinda pathetic. I prefer to think of it as casual disinterest."

I hesitantly touched his shoulder, squeezing, trying to communicate my sympathy with him. "I'm sorry, Amir."

He turned to me, his lips, curving into a smile as one of his hands moved to clasp my hand on his shoulders. He squeezed back. "Thanks, Asa."

The ride to his apartment was short and nice as we switched the music from Burna Boy to Popcaan, another of his favourite.

"I actually did my homework on Billie." He perked up.

"Yeah?"

"She's cool. I see what you like about her. Won't make her a personal favourite though, but she's cool."

We swapped favourite songs and albums of hers as he drove, even quoting some of her lyrics to my amazement.

He had gone all out.

When we pulled up at his place, he took my hand, guiding me across the dark passage, all the way to the front door

"You're short sighted?" He asked, gently.

"A little. I can handle it most times but it gets worse in the dark when I'm watching a screen. Laptops are the worst."

He laughed softly as we walked into his apartment. I made myself comfortable at the kitchen barstool while he dug out a big bowl full of cookies from the fridge.

"I just started these out recently," he said, an almost shy smile on his lips as he slid the plate in front of me. "Don't judge too harshly."

I took one of the chocolate chipped goodness, gooey from being heated up in the microwave, and took a bite. Chocolate sweetness bursting in my mouth, melting on my tongue, warm and soft and sweet, and I welcomed the taste willingly, almost warming me up on the inside on this cold harmattan night.

"So?" Amir asked, curiously looking at me, like a child, anxious to please his mum. "Is it good?"

"Oh my God, Amir, it's the best!" I squealed, stuffing my face with more gooey chocolate goodness, licking the crumbs off my fingers.