Child Sellers and Creepy Twins

Obi

While Amaryllis is with Rina, I leave the counter and move through the house in search of another resident. Most people who linger in Safehaven aren't actually residents, but Lady Kathlin recruited a few people to run the home in her stead. Not much know what happened to her, past or present, but rumor has it she's become a thief. My eyes fall on a fair haired woman settled in her corner booth as usual, her boots propped up on the worn table top. A small smirk tugs at her lips as she looks up at me.

"It's been a while, Obi."

"That it has, Wyren." I respond as I move to sit across from her.

"So what is it you want?"

"Access into The Death Market."

"It wouldn't be wise to enter The Market right now. Dryen has been taken out and replaced."

"By who?"

"She just showed up out of nowhere and just went after him. Her name is Harlowe or something like that but I'm not sure where she came from. Her accent is strange."

"Sounds interesting, but I have an open job at the moment so it'll be about a week before I could make it down that way. How long is this code good for?"

"It will expire by then. Come by when you're ready and I will provide it to you for my usual fee."

"Add it to my tab." I owe her like nine no-questions-asked favors now...

It's been a while since Amaryllis left with Rina and she hasn't come back yet. I've been waiting here for at least fifteen minutes now. I look up from my drink as Rina enters the room, thoroughly annoyed, but without Blondie. I flag her over and she looks at my table in confusion.

"Where is she?"

"I sent her here to be with you like five minutes ago."

"I haven't seen her." I curse under my breath as I get to my feet. "Why did you let a girl so naive alone in Safehaven?"

"What are you even doing with her? She didn't even know you were an assassin. And why did you give her your stupid Nanaki alias?"

"You told her?" I curse again.

With how skittish she's been with just my presence, there's no doubt that she bolted if no one here decided to take her for their own. I push past Rina and head toward the entrance, my eyes scanning the rooms for her.

"Hey Obi, that girl you brought was simply adorable. She reminded me of my sister."

I turn and find one of the prostitutes lounging on the stairs.

"Did you see her recently?"

"Yeah, she took off out the door."

I stand just outside the entrance to Safehaven and look around. How am I supposed to know what direction she went in? Going back home would make sense, but does she even know what way to go? Being around Safehaven is dangerous enough for her since there are criminals in and out of the area all the time, but she's essentially useless at defending herself... without a skillet, and the castle guards are still after me so they may go for her. I let out a sigh as I debate my direction, but a scream straight ahead sets my course for me. I find Amaryllis shortly after passing a frightened fox. She doesn't appear to be hurt, but she's definitely lost and scared. I call for her and she turns quickly, her hair hitting her face.

"Get away from me."

"Why did you take off? I was worried." I ask, though I don't move closer.

"I know what you are, Nanaki...Obi, whatever your name is. Rina told me everything. You are a thief and a murderer, why would I feel safe with you?!"

"Okay yes, I am those things. I was going to tell you when you came back. But here's the thing, I only go after bad people, those that deserve it."

"Why should I believe you?" She challenges despite taking another step back.

"My last hit, his name was Pryen. Do you know what he did?" She shakes her head. "He was kidnapping little girls, anywhere from age three to nine, and would sell them to other men so they could do whatever they wanted to them. I rescued twelve kids that night and brought them back to their families. That is why I do what I do."

"That can't be true... Master Oren knew Pyryen. He was the one that found me as a baby when someone kidnapped me. He brought me back to Master Oren."

Oh no... "Is Master Oren your father?" She nods. "So why do you call him Master and not Dad or Father?"

"He told me not to."

There's no way he's her father. Pryen probably sold her to him, but that leaves the question of who her parents really are? They sadly probably think she is dead.

"I know what you're implying and you can go to hell." She bites out before turning and walking away.

I stare after her as I wonder what to do now. There's almost no possibility that he's her father but she won't believe me unless proven and I don't know how I'd do that, she hates me, she's never been outside before now and definitely not alone. I didn't want to bring her with me to begin with but now I can't just leave her out here. My eyes widen as she rushes back through the trees and quickly hides behind me.

"What's wrong? Is it another dee-" I stop as the twins come into view.

I hate twins. Especially these two.

"It seems Obi found our new toy for us."

"How sweet."

"Back off Esmon, Thayer. She's with me." I scowl and they laugh.

"What would Obi want with a sweet little morsel?"

"Why don't we take her off your hands?"