Reunited

Obi

I hate this cell. I spent days in here before and got out long enough to save Amaryllis before I got locked away again. I do slightly see why it was warranted this time though. I attacked the second prince, but in my defense I was trying to protect Amaryllis and I didn't want him to take her from me since he and his brother are going to do that soon anyway. I don't even know if she's okay since they took her and I was hauled off. I had to give repeated compressions every twenty minutes or so on the way back because she'd stopped breathing. I just want to know she's alright and find out what exactly happened. She wasn't the most coherent when I spoke to her in the house. The door opens down the hall and I find Izana walking toward me.

"She's awake and talking."

"How is she?"

"In a lot of pain, naturally. Her first questions were about the well-being of the women in the building and where you were. You seem to mean a lot to her."

"I'm the first person she met beyond Oren." I shrug as I look up at him. "I'm sure that is the extent of her attachment to me."

"I'm not so sure. Regardless, she wishes to see you, so I told her I would arrange a short meeting with you. You did follow through with your job requirements so we will not pursue you for the theft of the crown, but if you cross us again you will be killed on sight. Once you are done speaking with her, you are free to leave. We thank you for bringing her home to us."

"Before I go to see her, I would like to discuss an opportunity with you, if you don't mind."

I softly push the door open and peek inside. Prince Izana left me with the Chief Herbalist Garak and after some very strange suggestive comments about me and Amaryllis, she directed me inside. My eyes fall on Amaryllis as she rests in one of the beds. She's awake and staring out the window. She's bandaged in several places from burns and the collapse. She's still absolutely stunning though. She turns to face me as I take a step into the room and a smile crosses her face.

"It's good to see you again. I'm glad they let you out."

"It's good to see you not crushed or close to dying."

"I feel like the 'not crushed' part ties into the 'close to dying' part." She giggles before a spike of pain cuts her off. "I'm a little sore but I'm alright, I promise. Garak says that my lungs were damaged but not enough to drastically change my life. How are you faring? I know you were inside too."

I come to sit beside her in a chair and shrug. I'd gotten burns up my forearms and across my hands but I pushed down my shirt sleeves and found fingerless gloves in my pouch so she won't notice.

"I didn't get hurt. Can I ask what happened back there?"

I'm in shock when Amaryllis finishes explaining how Oren took her and she had to burn him alive to get out. I never would have thought she'd have that much fight in her. Against Sinjin, she did manage to get out but she had simply hit him a couple of times. This was a whole different fight since Oren was who she considered a father for eighteen years.

"What is it? You're staring at me..."

"I-I'm proud of you for fighting back and for having the heart to stay and help the women. I'm just really glad you're okay. I worried about you as soon as you left my sight."

A frown works its way across her face before she slowly and shakily moves her hand to rest on mine. "I'm sorry I worried you. Thank you for saving me, though I don't remember much. I couldn't see and everything I heard was fuzzy and faded in and out."

"I unburied you and you said 'long time, no see'."

She laughs and shakes her head. "I had no idea. Oh, Garak told me what my birth name was and it's just as terrible as Amaryllis."

"What is it?"

"Sirianna."

"You're right, that is terrible." I snicker.

I stir as I hear the door open and realize I'd fallen asleep in the medical building while talking to Amaryllis. It's Prince Izana and he looks from me over to her. She fell asleep too it seems, her hand resting on top of mine. I gently pull my hand free without disturbing her since he motioned for me to step out with him. He turns to me after I shut the door and asks if I'd told her. I meant to, but I forgot since she was so concerned over my welfare and her panic over being in the castle.

"I discussed it further with my brother and we have decided a better course of action."

"What do you mean?" I ask as I lean back against the wall.

We had talked it over and I offered my allegiance to Wistal Castle and the crown so long as they would permit me to speak with her if she allowed.

"We have found a position within the castle that still allows you to speak with her but fulfills our requests as well."

"What is it?"

"You will be her personal attendant and guard."

"What?"