Confusion

Amaryllis

I can't tear my eyes away from the painting before me. According to this, to Obi's words, to Prince Izana's words as well... I'm the lost princess. I'm the one that they've released the lanterns for for all these years. The things I wanted to see so badly were specifically for me in hopes they'd bring me home. In a way, I guess they did. But if this really is the truth, then who did I grow up with, believing they were my father? Who is Master Oren? Is this why he wouldn't let me outside? He said people would be after me, but not to kill me as he said. They were after me to bring me home. If it's not true though, the royal family would be giving up on the true princess who is still lost if she's still alive.

"Amaryllis?" I blink as I finally hear Obi speaking.

"What if you're both wrong and the right woman is still out there and you give up on the lanterns because of my existence?" I ask quietly. "Master Oren is my father anyway, so I can't be her."

"Oren isn't your father regardless," Obi tells me. "You have no similar features at all. Nothing of your face or complexion matches him. Oren worked with Pryen and Sinjin both. They were all heavily involved in trading women and children, selling them to the highest bidders. You said that Pryen found you when you were a child and brought you back to Oren. I still believe that Pryen took you from the castle and Oren bought you. Why else would he keep you inside for so long? He was afraid you'd go out and someone would recognize you."

"Prince Izana? It's time to set the lanterns off."

We turn to find two knights a few feet away and I notice Obi turn his head slightly to avoid showing himself to them. I almost forgot that he was accused of taking from them.

"I'm coming." Once the men leave, Prince Izana turns to me. "I know things are a bit overwhelming right now, but you came all this way to see the lanterns up close. Why don't you come with me and watch them, then we can go from there?"

I look up at him, then over at Obi before slowly nodding. There's an odd look on Obi's face that he's trying to mask, but I can't quite figure out what it is. There's a hint of sadness in there though.

"Come on Obi." I offer him a very thin smile and take his hand.

Obi and I stand together, a few feet away from Prince Izana by the fountain as the lanterns get lit. Obi and I received lanterns as well and it's all I can stare at as I hold mine. These may just be the last lanterns that get set off, if I truly am who they say. Prince Izana looks around the crowd before looking to the sky. A few seconds later, I see a handful of lanterns appear. Obi quietly tells me the first two are from Prince Izana's mother and little brother, and the rest are the staff for Wistal Castle. Izana releases his and one by one, the villagers let go of theirs. I let mine go and follow the lantern's path into the air, it's golden glow joining the hundreds of others. It's beautiful. It's the only thing I wanted for years and I got to hold one in my hands. I finally tear my gaze away from the lanterns and wipe at my eyes. I feel someone staring at me and track it to a young blonde girl with tattoos around her eyes. She offers a smile at me that I lightly return, but she wasn't the one staring so intently. A few feet behind her, I lock eyes with Master Oren.

"Obi..." I whisper, unable to look away.

"What is it?"

"Master Oren is here. He's watching me."

"Stay close to the prince. Don't let him near you, okay?"

I'm torn. On one hand, I trust Obi and Prince Izana might be my brother, but on the other, Master Oren might be my father.

"Stop, thief!"

I turn in time to see the knights who attacked us a couple of days ago rushing toward Obi. The crowd erupts into chaos as more knights come from all directions, swarming toward us. I watch Obi as he looks around, likely for an escape route, but there's nowhere to go. If he didn't take anything, if they search him, then they won't find anything and let him go. He should be okay. A hand reaches out and grabs my wrist, jerking me painfully into the crowd as I call for Obi and Prince Izana but they can't hear me through the noise. I follow the hand up, knowing that it has to be Master Oren dragging me away.

"Where are we going?" I manage to ask.

"Shut up! I told you to stay away from castle people and you deliberately disobeyed me!"

"Why do you want me to stay away?" I snap, jerking back on my arm. "Why did you keep me inside? Why did you tell me people would try to kill me?"

"That's none of your concern, now shut up before I make you!"

"I've had it with you not answering me! Did you hide me because I'm the lost princess? Obi sai-"

He turns to face me and laughs. "You seriously trust that boy? He's just a low-life thief. See?"

With a tight grip, he forces me to turn in time to see Obi get captured by the knights. They have him kneeling on the ground with his arms wrenched behind his back.

"Obi is not a thief, it's all a misundersta-" I trail off as they rip the bag from his side and pull a crown out of it. He stole from them after all... "You're still not answering me! Tell me the truth Oren, am I the lost princess?"