The Announcement

Obi

I hate that I feel as if I'm hovering over Amaryllis but I can't help that I want to keep her safe. There are so many people here and they all have their focus on her, so it's hard to tell if they're just drawn to her being the lost princess or if someone is plotting something. Mitsuhide appears beside me and gently pulls me over to one of the walls where Kiki is stationed as well.

"You need to relax Obi. I can tell this is your first time at an event." He chuckles.

"I can't help it. It's weird enough being around royalty without sneaking around but now I have to watch over her too."

"I understand, I was the same way when I started my position with Zen, but she's very well protected here beyond your watch. Kiki and I are keeping an eye on her as well as her brothers, if you haven't noticed, then there's all the other guards."

"I suppose your right. I just hope Prince Raji keeps his hands to himself." I sigh as I lean back against the wall.

Even from here I can see the slight sour look on her face as Prince Raji twirls her around. Despite the wrap on her foot and the few remaining bandages on her burns, she looks absolutely stunning. Sophen and Lyniah dressed her in a pale blue dress and pulled her curls up into some fancy style and secured with a silver hair comb with a flower on it. She's breathtaking and her appearance has drawn the attention of most every man here. I hate it.

"I don't think glaring will make him burst into flame." Kiki laughs.

"A man can dream, can't he?"

"Why don't you just tell her you're in love with her?"

"I have. Sort of..."

"And?" Mitsuhide presses.

"We never got the chance to fully talk about it so we're technically nothing but princess and guard."

"You're so stupid for a formal criminal."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"Go dance with her and tell her how you feel."

I find myself being shoved forward by Mitsuhide toward Amaryllis and Prince Raji. I cut a glare back toward him but he gives me a cheeky grin and waves me onward. I sigh and mouth an expletive to him before making my way through the crowds. She looks up at me and a small smile flits across her face despite her eyes screaming 'help'.

"May I cut in?" I ask and Raji fixes me with a harsh glare.

I meet his glare with a silent challenge but he finally looks away and sighs quietly.

"I suppose I shouldn't keep this darling princess all to myself just yet."

He reluctantly releases her and I take her hand and lead her away. She mumbles a quiet thanks to me, telling me she'd tried several excuses to get away but nothing seemed to work.

"If he tries something like that again just nod at me and I will come to your rescue, Miss."

"I still think calling me Miss is not a comfortable thing." She hums as she leans against the balcony rail.

"I can't help that it's my job. If I was the attendant to one of your brothers I would call him Master, so it's like the same thing."

"Only you haven't kissed my brothers... to my knowledge."

"Definitely not, but about the kiss... I just... I wanted to tell you that I want to be with you romantically... if that's something that you want." I hate that I stumbled over my words but there's something about her that makes me tongue-tied sometimes.

"Obi, I-"

"There you are Princess." We both turn to find Raji standing in the doorway. "I noticed your earring on the floor and wanted to return it to you."

"O-Oh, thank you. I hadn't realized it was missing."

"It's no trouble at all. I do believe you are needed inside though." His eyes meet mine and a sly smirk crosses his face before fading back to his normal smile as he focuses on her again.

I stand against the far wall with Mitsuhide and Kiki as Amaryllis stands in the middle of the room with her brothers as Izana addresses the crowd, formally thanking everyone for coming and formally introducing her as the Princess of Clarines. She looks ready to curl up and die rather than stand with their focus solely on her. Just before the crowd starts to return to their conversations, Raji steps forward and takes her hand before looking around at everyone.

"I, Prince Raji Shenazard of Tanbarun, would like to publicly announce my engagement to the beautiful Princess Amaryllis Wistaria."

"What?" Mitsuhide says but I ignore him as I start to step forward.

"Prince Raji, what do you mean? I don't believe we've discussed this." Her voice is soft and quiet, but I can hear it over the chatter.

Zen and Izana say something to Raji that I can't hear just as I reach them and gently pull her free from his grip. Izana looks over at me and tells me to follow them.

Raji, Zen, Izana, Amaryllis, Mitsuhide, Kiki, Sakaki, and I find ourselves in Prince Izana's office a few minutes later as the brothers have it out with Raji over his uncleared declaration. They had no idea of his intention either it seems. Amaryllis hasn't spoken since the ballroom but has stayed very close to me with her hand holding my upper arm. Raji holds a hand up to silence the princes before pulling a paper from his shirt pocket.

"This was a contract made shortly after her birth before her disappearance. It was made by our fathers and sealed with their seals, making it a binding contract. It lists Princess Sirianna Wistaria, known now as Amaryllis, to be my wife upon her coming of age to be wed. Obviously that would have occurred a few years earlier but she was unknown until now. It's still valid since she's alive, so that makes Amaryllis my bride to be."

Izana snatches it from his hands and as he reads it, his mouth presses into a thin line.