Chapter 16

I looked around the room.

White bare walls, a large cart filled with tools that the doctors poke you with. I was groggy and entire body was sore. I couldn't even remember how or when I got here. I racked my brain to remember why I'm here but I can't.

Frustrated, confused, sore and terrified I buzzed for the nurse.

She came in moments later.
She had very large 'curves' twinkling hazel eyes and lips that almost looked as plastic as the rest of her. When she spoke it sounded like nails being dragged through a chalkboard.
"Hello girl, are you feeling nauseous or sore?" She said pulling out a clipboard and pen. "Yes" I groaned as she grabbed my shoulders and shifted me to a different position.

"You some more rest. You took a hard hit. Do you remember anything at all, hon?" She asked and put the back of her hand on my forehead and began scribbling something on her clipboard.
"No, nothing." I said carefully not to give anything away about Julianne. If I did I would be put in a straight jacket and pursued by priests and doctors with large needles and multi colored meds. I shooed away the thought.

"Well, I'll tell you what witnesses reported. After leaving a school without permission you went to the park, no?"

I nodded.

"Well you kind of fainted but when you woke up people said you had an odd lime green eye color." She said it like it was a preposterous joke only a toddler would laugh at. "Anyway, a boy hit you with a ball on accident and you kind of lashed out on him and beat him good. He came out with a black eye and broken wrist. But he'll be fine. You climbed a tree to find what ever you were looking for and fell out. It was a long and hard drop." She scribbled more things on her clipboard and picked at her cuticles then spoke again.

"It's you I'm worried about. You had a panic attack after you fell. Screaming about your dad and suicide. It was horrifying to children. Can you tell me, girl? What did you see?" She asked and studied my body language. I shifted my position in the cloud soft hospital bed and spoke. "I don't remember, must be one of those forgettable dreams." I said too dully but recovered with a chuckle.

"I don't think so Miss Hayes, you had a panic attack from this dream. It must be far worse. Have you experienced any traumatic memories that may have caused this?" She eyes me closely again, like I was gonna pour my deepest secrets any minute and spill about ways to get rid of world corruption. This woman had specific looks, seriously she must have a pound of magic makeup for each look.

"Am I under interrogation?" I asked rhetorically. "No." I lied. "My life is a big blob of riches and luck, along with unicorns and fairies that grant my every desire." I said with child like enthusiasm. She scribbled more on her paper. I would've rolled my eyes but I had no energy for the simplest of eye rolls. I kept a straight face.

"Ok, whatever. Get some rest, hon. You'll need every second of it if you want your sore body to recover." She said and left. Well, she didn't seem to like me too much. But the feeling is mutual.

I did as I was told, but I would've done it anyway, and I went to sleep.

*~*~*

I woke up, it felt like I was asleep for only seconds. Then my heart started racing and I couldn't keep still. Flashes of the old lady with scissors plunged in her chest and my two parents with bullet holes pierced in their heads and chests.

I tried calming myself down but it didn't work. I started to scream and hit my head with my hand trying to get the images out. It wouldn't and I screamed louder. The nurses eventually heard me and burst through the door with a large needle.

The nurse injected it into my arm. I
began to feel numb and my eyes became heavy and I passed out.

*~*~*

When I woke up normally and saw a young Julianne before me.
"What do you want?" I spat with a sneer.
"Aww can't I just hang out with my best friend forever?" She cheered.
"You are NOT Julianne! I know what you are!" I lied again.

I really didn't know actually. All I know is that she wasn't Julianne in life. She was something else. And I also really don't know what her intentions are either, I know but she wants my soul, but when the nurse told me she was looking for something or someone, maybe. It baffled me.

"You don't know even know the half of it." She let out a sinister laugh.
"What do you want from me?" I screamed. Julianne threw her head back and laughed harder. I stared at her with horror, the she stopped laughing and stared at me.

Expressionless.

That really scared me, her voice too. It was loud, deep, raspy and she sounded like a 60 year old smoker.

"I want much from you. My intentions go back centuries. I WILL have what I want." She cocked her head to the side, while her eyes glowed lime green. "And if I fail with you. Your children will pay and your children's children's will all pay your debt." She shrugged.
"Let's just see if you are lucky enough to have a choice." She laughed again.

Then she jumped out the window.

I gawked at her. She DOES want my soul. I just don't understand what she was talking about. 'My intentions go back centuries' and when I found that, through me, she was looking for something.

Then the door opened and Matt came in. "Hey" he walked towards me. I looked down and played with my fingers. "Hi.." I said quietly.

We stayed silent for a few minutes before Matts voice filled the silence.
"What did you see? When you were dreaming?" I shook my head.
"That not import -"

"Yes it is. You left school and got suspended. So I want to know what the Hell happened for you end up here!" He said in a very commanding voice.

He sounded like a dad, I never had a dad. And now, I have one. I hugged Matt tightly. "Wha -"

"Thank you for wanting me Matt, thank you for being a dad to me."

He was shocked, I sensed it. He hugged back. "O- Of course Riles. Y- Your my sister.." He hugged me tighter.
"But you DO know that you are still grounded for a month, right?"
"Eh, I knew I wasn't getting out of that one." I said.

*~*~*

I went back home with Matt. It was nice to get out of that super comfortable, moving, beauti-
Err I mean it's just a bed.
But the hospital food, I might as well eat sandpaper..

I kept an eye out for Julianne the next few days. She was everywhere. I cautiously did everything, asking myself if it was a risk for me to be exposed to Julianne. I couldn't let her have that chance anymore. Not even the slightest one..

Does that mean my sanity is slightly slipping away?

_______________________
A/N: Hey ducklings!
So I finally changed the cover.. I hope you like it! Cause it wasn't easy getting it. I had to go somewhere to get WiFi..
Sigh, I miss it. Now I need MORE WiFi to publish this. Ugh! It's getting harder.
Grr..
Okay so this chapter wasn't very 'eventful' but I hope you enjoyed it!
Thanks for reading Chapter 16 of Best Friends Forever and I'll write you next time!
Bye ducklings!
______________________
Vanessa