Chapter 18: Two Months

Chapter 18

I was on my last nerve as I carried the crying child into Jane's house, holding the smelly thing at an arm's length away from my body.

"Oh dear, what happened?" Jane exclaimed as I walked into the kitchen.

Practically all of my family was there, doing their homework.

"You were supposed to pick us up." Michael said harshly.

"Well good thing you got a ride from Logan." I snapped back.

Michael's eyes narrowed at me.

"I texted him to make sure he'd take care of you, dipshit." I responded. "Jane, take her."

Jane looked shocked as she walked towards me.

"The little brat puked on me." I snapped, handing the messy girl to Jane. "And all over the inside of the car."

"What! Marley I have to pick Nicole up in there!" Mark exclaimed, slamming his textbook shut.

"It's not my fault it decided to throw up!" I yelled at him, nearly gagging at the smell coming from my shirt.

"Honey what's the matter?" Jane asked her daughter with genuine concern.

I felt a pang of jealousy for the kid that actually got attention from her mom when she was sick.

Pathetic right?

A 16 year old jealous of a 6 year old.

"I don't know what happened. One minute she's happily eating her ice cream, next thing I know she's crying and it's coming back up through her mouth." I hissed, grabbing some paper towel to wipe off my shirt.

"You do know she's lactose intolerant right? Why the hell would you give her ice cream?" Jane snapped at me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I glared at her. "Just because you're too damn lazy to pick your own kid up from school doesn't mean I'm going to be an awful role model too. It's a natural thing to take a kid out for ice cream when she's talking about how she wishes it was her mommy picking her up. But apparently Kelsey and I have something in common, a shitty mother like you. And for the record, I have been here for three days. It is not my job to monitor your six year old's allergies when she doesn't tell me herself." I said harshly, walking towards the staircase.

"Don't speak to me that way!" Jane loudly called after me.

"Don't treat me like your damn daughter!" I yelled over my shoulder. "You lost that privilege 16 years ago!"

I slammed the door to my room, storming right to the bathroom.

I took a long, hot shower, trying to wash off all of the disgusting smell of vomit.

My phone was ringing as I got out.

"Oh shit." I answered. "I know I'm late I'm so sorry I'll explain I just-"

"Can I come over?" Logan cut me off. "Like, I know Mark and Wes are going out with their girls so they'll be gone, and I'm sure Michael and Justin will be at that senior football meeting so we can cuddle and watch a movie or something. The mall will be too hectic anyways."

"Uh sure, um, how about you go around to the back and go up that back patio thing to the second floor and I'll let you in?" I suggested, biting my lip.

"You're sneaking me in?" Logan laughed, clearly amused.

"Jane's being a bitch and I don't want the guys questioning why you're here." I replied, pulling a pair of underwear up my legs.