Chapter 28: The experiments

When the text is curved like this, it's a flashback.

*Izuku POV*
It's been a week since the Kamino incident, and the hospital is finally letting Rachel out of the hospital, so that's some good news. What isn't good is that as soon as she got to the dorms she said that she needed to talk to everyone. So now everyone is sitting in the common area waiting for Momo and Rachel to come down.

"Do you think this is about Zack?" Kirishima asks me.

"What else would it be about." I reply.

He was about to respond until we heard Rachel's door open and see her and Momo coming down the stairs, both of them sit on chairs that are facing everyone in the room.

"S-so, ever since Zack was kidnapped, I-I assume you're wondering why they would even want him, so I'm going to tell you all, I already told mr. Aizawa this." She says looking at the floor.

Nobody said anything and we just waited for her to continue.

"So, when I was four years old, I was taken from my home in the middle of the night, I was asleep so I don't remember it." She says and begins shaking but Momo calms her down, she really is a good friend.

"I-I woke up in a cage, and that's when I met Zack. He was also kidnapped, we were both in the same cage, at first I was scared of him but he told me he wasn't gonna hurt me, and he made me feel safe. There was another cage next to ours and it had another child who was about seven." As she's telling us this I noticed that as soon as she mentioned this new child she put her hand on her side and started rubbing it.

"For about three days we didn't leave the cage, but the other child did, when they ordered him to leave the cage, he followed it like a robot. When these people finally took us out, they brought us to lab tables, tubes, and needles...t-this is w-where the experiments started." As she explained, I could see everyone getting uncomfortable, even Bakugou seemed a bit shaken up.

"The experiments were horrible, they never told us what they were for, but now we figured it out because of the training camp, anyway they would inject us with something in our necks, put us in these man sized tubes and they would knock us out. Every time I woke up from that, I would be back in the cage with Zack holding a plate of food for us to share, the boy in the other cage was always quiet, it was also really dark so I could never tell what he looked like just his hair, full red." Rachel started rubbing her side again and shaking, Momo calmed her down some more.

"Um, we didn't meet the boy until about two weeks of being there, he was put into our cage this time instead of the other, now we could see stitches all over his body and charred pieces of him where the stitches were. When we asked him any questions he'd answer without hesitation and honestly, he said his name was Dabi." As soon as she said his name everyone in the room either gasped or was just taken aback.

"W-wasn't that the guy with the blue fire at the camp?" Kaminari asked her.

"Y-yeah...that was him." She answered still rubbing her side.

"Anyway um, after we met him he became friendly and caring almost like a parent, after every experiment he would comfort us. The experiments went on for...five years, and it would have went on longer if it wasn't for Zacks escape plan." Rachel began and took a deep breathe and continued. "I hate looking back on that night, but you all need to know." She stopped for about a minute like she was preparing herself.

"The guards had a routine and every night at eleven, there would only be one guard in the cage room, so Zack planned to call him over and take the key off of him, then we just sneak out...it went perfectly at first, I got the guard over by acting hurt, then Zack knocked his head against the cage knocking him out, we grabbed the keys and we began our escape, I still remember Dabi's unsure face as we were escaping, I didn't realize at the time but now I know why he was acting like that." She stopped and looked down at the floor and looked like she was about to cry.

"Hey it's okay we're all right here, if you don't want to, you don't have to continue." Momo said while hugging her.

"N-no, I have to get this out." She said and looked at all of us and began again "When we got to the exit, we needed something to break the lock and Zack asked dabi to melt the lock with his fire...

Rachel POV
"Dabi, You need to melt the lock so we can all get out." Zack whispered to him.

"W-we shouldn't...even be doing this." Dabi says.

"W-what? We're so close, what is this about?" Zack asked while I stands there scared.

"I-if they catch us the punishment will be worse than any they've ever done." He answered.

"Dabi, it's right here, if we get out this door, then we'll be free." Zack retorted putting a hand on Dabi's shoulder.

He was about to say something back, but then he looked over at me, and then said "o-ok."

Dabi walked up to the lock and put some fire on his hand, but I noticed that he wasn't looking at the lock, his eyes were looking directly at Zack, I realized what was going on and I jumped in front of Zack right as dabi shot fire at him.

3rd person POV

"That's how I got this burn." Rachel says as she lifts up the left side of her shirt. "It's also why I'm terrified of fire."

The class was wide eyed, except Izuku.

'This must of been what Zack wrote about in his journal.' He thought.

"Last thing I remember before passing out was Zack yelling and running at dabi, when I woke up I was being carried by Zack, who was running through a forest, then I passed out again. I woke up in an abandoned apartment building laying in a bed, and me and Zack just lived there until UA." Rachel finished.

"I always wondered how Zack got enough money to get us into UA, he said he found an amazing high paying job...now I figured out what "job" it was." Rachel said and began to cry.

Everyone began comforting her, but what they didn't know was who was outside, listening to the whole thing through a half open window under the night sky.

"I'm sorry Rachel." Zack quietly whispers as he wipes some tears out of his eyes and leaves.

A/N
So there it is, Zack and Rachel's backstory, in chapter five I said that Zack and Rachel were just side characters...oops.

Also next chapter fury is getting a costume change, hopefully this'll be the last time.