Chapter 24: Downpour

My hands are trembling as I now clutch on the steering wheel unsteadily. I still don't know what's happening and I kept contacting the person who called me earlier but her mobile number is now already out of reach. At a thought, I think I heard her voice somewhere before. But it doesn't really matter now.

I also tried calling Bright but he's not answering. Fuck! I hissed as my mind is again flooded with thoughts and questions that are slowly eating me up inside.

My eyes squint as I see an apartment after I pass through the bar with which Bright told me they went with his friends. The building looks pretty neat, as it is designed sophisticatedly with touches of classical contemporary architecture that seems unique with its façade. As soon as I got out of my car, I went inside the building and searched for the room where Bright is staying with which is according to the woman who called me earlier.

I'm now in front of the wooden door of the room, but my hands we're shaking as I just stared at it without really even knowing what really is happening or what will I see inside. I immediately shook my head and shrugged the ideas that kept on flooding me which I thought are destructive. I took a deep breath as I gathered all my courage to knock at the door.

"Bright?" I remarked but there's no one answering nor opening the door. I quickly reached for the knob hoping it isn't locked and to my surprise, the knob clicks and opens in front of me. I enter a room that is completely enveloped by darkness with just having the faint light coming from the outside of the windows.

"Bright?" I breathily said in the middle of nothing and it echoed in its four corners. A muffled groan suddenly responds back with which I quickly looked for the light switch and turned on the lights.

My body immediately froze as the sight of Bright sleeping peacefully on the bed greets me— naked under the sheets... with Rosie clinging unto his waist as their eyes start to slowly open in recognition. Bright's eyes widen as soon as he sees me. My whole body is now shaking which I didn't notice that I held my breath for so long now. All I can hear was the violent beating of my heart as I bit my lip in fear.

"Shit!" Bright cursed but it was a trigger that made me go back to my senses with which I immediately stormed out of the room as my mind is now in shambles. My footsteps were as heavy as the emotions bottling up inside my chest while I walked mindlessly through the hallway with which Bright immediately pulled my wrist and made me look at him.

"Win it's not what you think—" My insides churn at the sight of him and all I can remember is my hand slapping him so hard that its impact echoed through the hallway. My body trembled at what I just did which I immediately regretted doing. He grimaced in pain, but I couldn't care less.

"I don't want to hear any of it Bright." My voice cracked as I tried my best not to cry in front of him. "How can I fucking put my trust in you if you're the reason why I can't?"

"Please baby, let me explain?" He said in frustration as he kept on reaching for my hands but I continuously pull it away.

"Just...stop please! I'm just too tired already Bright." I clenched my jaw as if trying to find the right words I wanted to speak while tears now start to pool in my eyes. "Did I even get close enough to be part of your life? Or was it all just pretending?"

"Baby no, please—"

"Were you just using me as an excuse? Someone to hold to when needed? Something to break and fucking leave behind?"