Chapter 29: Professionals

"Hey Win, is there something you wanted to tell us?" Pie exclaimed as she raises an eyebrow towards me. A smirk is then formed on her lips as I just heaved a sigh and took the liberty to sip on the glass of cocktail I'm currently holding.

"I heard someone came back from the dead." Pluem added sarcastically which made me roll my eyes since I'm not quite sure if he's referring to my heart or Bright. I'm not good with puns but I suppose to believe it's the latter.

"How the hell did you know that?" I tilted my head in annoyance as they both chuckle at my statement.

"Need I remind you we are partners at the firm Metawin? We know everything that happens there." Pie wiggled her eyebrows as she shoots me a taunting look.

"Fine. But so what?" I nonchalantly said as I once again heave a heavy sigh. "It's not that I care. It's just about work and nothing more."

"But you kept on sighing ever since we had our dinner a while ago. Is his sudden appearance in your life bothers you that much?" Adrian laughed and two threw me a suspicious look which made me frown in disbelief.

The scattered lights of Bangkok's skyscrapers and busy streets looked exquisite as viewed from the top of a huge building. The blanket of pitch black sky extends to the horizon as there are no stars yet to glimpse behind the clouds. The ambiance of the restaurant here at the rooftop feels relaxing. After we had our dinner, we decided to have some drinks since it sets the mood of the mellow music that surrounds the area.

"Hey don't misunderstand this. It has nothing to do with our past. I took this project because you know that it is my passion. I only associated myself with him since we are working on the same project." I firmly said as I took the bottle of vodka and poured on my empty glass. I suppose I'm downing every ounce of alcohol in this bar tonight. "End of discussion."

The dimmed lights and the nostalgic feeling of being on top of a building makes me feel stuffy all of a sudden. This is why I hate going to rooftop bars and lounges but since this is the first time we'll hang out again after some months, I happily agreed to it.

"What did you feel when you saw him after 5 years?" Pluem broke the comforting silence between us while his eyes are focused with mine. I may have lost count of the glasses I've emptied which I already feel a slight spinning in my head.

"I-I don't know. It feels as if it was the first time I saw him back when we were fourth years. Happy, angry, and confused— all at the same time." I was suddenly taken aback from the words which came out from my mouth and quickly downed a shot of vodka. "But all I wanted to do after that was to get things over with and go on separate ways. As I've said before, I don't want him to come into my life ever again."

"But he did." Pie chortled with which I smiled uneasily. My head is now all over the place.

"Yes he did, but it's all coincidence. This is our field of expertise and I can't really avoid that." I heaved a sigh as I lifted my head and looked at the skies filled with nothingness— literally. "And I believe he's just temporary working here for experience since I just learned that he is also running a business in States."

"You know, goodbyes are endings. But they are only the endings in the physical sense. Goodbyes don't have the power to erase what happened nor wash away the memories and heartwarming experiences you had with that person." Adrian remarked as I just listened to him while drowning myself to the bittersweet taste of the alcohol that lingers inside my mouth. The heaviness that lurks on my chest triggers the things I thought I have concealed long enough to resurface at this very moment.