1. Sustenance and Starvation

Good olden days.....................

Location: Happy GO homes orphanage, Bareilly

A group of ten boys roughly of the age group fourteen to fifteen years entered the playground with cricket bats and hockey sticks in their hands and rebellion in their eyes. They searched for their target among the group of young boys and girls playing in the ground and spotted the blue eyed boy sitting alone under the huge banyan tree at the farther end of the ground.

Shivaay sat under the banyan tree which was his favourite spot since the day he came to the orphanage. He was missing his mother today as it was her birthday. Had she been alive, he would have enjoyed his favorite kheer, watched a classic bollywood movie with her, talking to her about his dream of becoming a police officer while she listened to him with a smile on her face and love in her eyes. His vision blurred as he reminisced the few happy moments of his life when he was surrounded by the 'gulab gang.'

"How dare you hurt my friend Shivaay" one of the boys Anirudh questioned him masking his fear and trying to be all manly just like the hero in the movie he saw the day before.

"Didn't your friend tell you what made me hit him? He was badmouthing about my mother" roared Shivaay making Anirudh crower.

"So what? Galat kya bola meine? She was unmarried when she had you wasn't she? My mother told me that she was not a good woman" said Tarun holding his fractured wrist still in pain.

"Shut up!!" growled Shivaay trying to control the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes. "Not a word against my mom!! You have no business to talk about me, my mother or anyone else for that matter. Didn't you have your fill yesterday or do you want more"

"Let us see who gets more today" answered Tarun before ordering his friends to start the war. His ego was clearly hurt when Shivaay broke his wrist yesterday infront of his class girls. He wanted revenge for sure.

Soon a fight broke out between the boys where Shivaay efficiently dodged the attacks. Tiered of his friends' uselessness, Tarun lifted a bat with his uninjured hand ready to attack Shivaay from behind. The bat was about to touch Shivaay's head when Tarun was pushed to the ground and he landed with a thump yet again falling on his fractured wrist when he howled in pain. He looked up to find no one yet felt someone kicking him in the shin. He searched for his attacker and realised that he was pushed down by a tiny five year old girl who glared at him with her angry hazel eyes.

Shivaay turned around when he heard Tarun scream in pain and looked at Gauri kicking the former and trying to lift the heavy bat which was probably more than her weight. "Gauri!! Chod use, chot lag jayegi tujhe" he tried to lift her away when Gauri still tried to pounce on Tarun, her legs kicking in the air. "Chalo mere saath" said Shivaay dragging her away while the rest of the boys attended Tarun who was crying bitterly.

"Gauri, I told you many times not to interfere in my fights. Didn't I?" scolded Shivaay once he calmed her down. "Nahi karti, if that bhaiyya didn't try to attack you from behind. How dare he? no one can hurt my Shivu bhaiyya in front of me" she growled still angry that her bhai didn't let her finish breaking Tarun's other wrist.

Shivaay looked at the little girl before him with love "Acha meri sherni, pehle ye bata ki ayi kyun thi yaha pe? Did you get the news of the attack? Abhay told you right, let me have a word with him"

"Nope!!" said Gauri and handed him a box which she clutched tightly till then. "Maa has sent you this. Kheer hai... you must be missing Geeta maa right. So I brought it for you bhaiyya..." she completed with a smile, forgetting that she was angry at her bhai seconds ago.