Chapter 25: Just Listen

Veronica

"Mommy! I'm so hungry!" Andrew. I grumble his name in my head. He was supposed to get food. Didn't want us to go along. Which we did need our rest after the long travel. Where is he at? It's been two hours. I'm all but about to call the cops. I feel like an awful wife. I should have called them already. I'll go check in with Aubrey first. They do work together after all. She might know.

"I know precious. Here." I hand her a bag of potato chips. "Eat this to help with the grumbles." She snatches the bag from my hands. When it bursts open, the smell causes me to hold my breath. I don't know why, but chips smell like a bag of farts.

Taking a deep breath of the fart filled air, I lift Flower up. "Come on Baby. We're going to see where daddy is."

A thrill of excitement stems in her irises. I wish I felt the same way. Grabbing the room key from the counter, the door slams after our exit. The hallways smell like retail clothes. Unused, new, clean. I remember Aubrey telling Andrew her room number.

Thankfully she's only down the hall. In New York, it's a bit cool, compared to Georgia. So Flower and I are dressed in matching leggings with sweaters and boots. We look adorable. Inching towards her door. When we finally arrive, I knock.

Of course no answer. There never is. After another, I accidentally pushed it open. She must not have closed it. That's worrying. I want to make sure she's okay too. Stepping inside, her room is a mess, and we just arrived today. Blankets disperse from the couch onto the floor.

Clothes scatter around. Booze and what the fuck? A bag with a white substance I only assume to be cocaine. Shielding Flower's eyes, I tuck her in to my shoulder. "Aubrey?"

My shoes crackle on the crumbs of food. Merging to where the bedroom should be, I hear moans. Oh thank God she's okay. As I'm about to knock, I hear a growl. "Mr. Mena."

Andrew...? Please god no. Not again. Please don't be him. No.

Taking the chance, I push the door open. I immediately regret the image. He stands there with his pants dangling down around his ankles. Hand on her head. Hers wrapped around his boxers, scrunched tightly. His head is thrown back, enjoying himself. I'm going to be sick. I place Flower down before she sees.

Andrew turns around. His face falls, jumping off the highest skyscraper, landing splattered in front of me. "Veronica.."

I don't give him time to finish the lie. I grab Flower and we're out the door. "Where's daddy?" I burst into tears. He's cheating again. "Why are you crying mommy?"

Gathering myself, I come up with a lie. "I couldn't find daddy."

Loud footsteps behind me, I don't dare look. I can feel the flames rising inside of me. The cool outside weather doesn't phase me now. "Veronica!"

"Daddy! There he is mommy!" Great. Ignoring him, I rush to our hotel room. I try to get there before he can. That way I can lock him out. Fuck! I can't find the card. Frantically, I can't control the emotions that burst through the doors of my eyes. I have to place Flower down before I collapse.

Andrew catches up, "Here let me." He opens the door after I move out of the way. Hiding Flower inside, I don't even look at him.

"Where's her food? She's hungry. Or were you only thinking of yourself again?" Asshole! I shout the insult repeatedly in my head. I shake my head but the word stays put. He grips his hair, forgetting the purpose of his absence. I guess he filled up on some pussy. Or thought he was going to.