Chapter 37: Exposed

Today's the day. That big day where you're nervous about your new job. All the fake smiling faces, knowing they'll just talk about you behind your back. At least I have my daughter to keep me company. Kiara helped me coordinate and outfit for her. Veronica was the one to always dress Flow. I don't know girl clothing styles.

She walked out in a pink sweater, with jean short overalls on, and pink converse sneakers. Kiara braided her shoulder length hair. I liked her long hair the most, but I'm not upset at Vee's choices. Hopefully Flower can make some new friends.

Eyes raked my skin, but I greeted them with respect and kindness. Dressed in a red long sleeve button up, navy slacks with a brown belt and brown shoes. My hair is gelled, the hairspray keeps it out of my eyes. Everybody has their own cubicle. It allows more privacy than the last job I had. While I get trained, Flower plays with the children in the break room. My trainer is alright, he's not much of a talker.

Maybe I make him feel uneasy. I've made plenty of others feel intimidated. That's cause I was a border line asshole. I get to go on break in two hours. It'll be nice to sit with Flower, at work, and just be around her before she has to leave me tonight. I'm going to miss her, even though I'll get her all to myself again the following week.

Veronica

The only thing that brings me joy is that I get to pick my daughter up right now. Wrapping a scarf around my neck, people might know something is up. Who wears a scarf in August? The hottest season in Georgia. Caking on the makeup, I look like a porcelain doll. I'm as fragile as one too.

When I pick Flower up, I don't want to bring her back here. I know these walls speak. She can hear through them. The poor girl is growing up, hearing her mother being beaten, and it's all my fault. I put us in this position. Now I'm stuck. The selfish side of me wants to keep and see her, but the motherly, logical side knows she needs to stay with Andrew.

I put my sunglasses on, then a coat. Completely covered like a conservative woman. I feel empty, but somehow I'm doing a good job at hiding my feelings. Pulling out my phone, I text Andrew quickly.

Me: On my way to get Flower 🌸

Shoving my phone deep down somewhere in my purse, I hope this goes quick and smooth. I also hope Andrew doesn't suspect a thing.

                                             <\3

Knocking on the door, I really like it here. Andrew's doing extremely well for himself and our daughter. The door opens, and I wasn't expecting Kiara to be the one standing behind it. "Hi, I'm here to get Flower."

Kiara places a hand over her hip, leaning against the door frame

Kiara places a hand over her hip, leaning against the door frame. Dressed in a mesh top, revealing her bra, and a leather jacket to hide the back. It fits her well. Andrew and her must work out together, I can see her abs. "She's at work with Andrew.", stealing my attention away.