Chapter 41: Erased

Veronica

As the day merges, so does the sun. It's so hot in here, even with the A/C on. I can't help the way my legs continue to bounce. Or how my mind races. I know Andrew said to stay in here, but I'm not going to. How helpless. I shut the engine off, stealing the keys from the ignition.

Entering the Georgia heat, I gawk around the parking lot. A certain vehicle grabs my gaze. Aubrey. I know she's here, but she isn't in her car. Walking sideways to her car, I creep to peak inside the tinted windows. As I gain distance, I hear pounding on the window.

Cries creak through the tiny cracks of the rolled down glass. "Please help me! It's so hot in here." My baby's voice whines for help.

"Baby! It's mommy, I'm here to get you." Yanking on the handle, locked. Fuck! I can't believe she left her in the vehicle with the windows up as hot as it is. "Flower, crawl to the front seat. I have to break the glass baby. Shield your eyes."

I run over to one of the wooden pegs that hold the fence together. Kicking the wood loose, it falls on the fourth attempt. Running back over, I take the board, swinging it over the glass. It breaks but not all the way. Again, I hit it. Pounding a big enough hole for my hand to sneak in and unlock the door.

Once it's unlocked, I get in. Making sure there's no glass on me, I hug my daughter. Kissing her forehead, "I'm so sorry hunny. Let's get you out of here okay?"

"I'm hot mommy."

Carrying her, we jump out. "I know baby I'm so sorry." I hope the cops come soon, because she needs to hydrate. Holding her snug, I put her inside Andrew's truck, blasting the A/C.

Tears and sweat pollute her tiny face. Taking the hair tie from my wrist, I pull her blonde hair back, tying it up in a bun. "Where's Aubrey?"

"Did she hurt you hunny?" I ignore her question, because she can't grow up believing that woman is good. Other than leaving her in the car, I need to know if she did anything else to harm my daughter.

"No mommy. She said we were going to see daddy."

Strapping Flower in her car seat, I drive Andrew's truck for the first time since I was eighteen. The leather has cracked slightly. I swoon when I notice the picture of Flower and I together on his dashboard. He's saved me so many time in my life. Now it's my turn to save his.

<\3

Peering into the tunnel, I blast the high beams. The image guts me. Andrew on top of Aubrey. Both are covered in dirt, clothes are tattered. His hands restrain her. I blare the horn, and it's so loud in the tunnel. Putting the window down, I yell for Andrew to get in. "Come on Andrew! Leave her!"

Rising to his knees, he uses his hand to block out the light. "Veronica! He's trying to rape me! Help!"

Oh no bitch, you did not just say that. Fucking insulting to someone who has actually been through it. If he was trying to rape her, why would she be pulling him towards her?

"Flower, I'll be right back. Close your eyes." I'm fed up with being the nice girl. I slam the truck door shut. Staunching over, I rip Andrew's shirt from her grasp.

"Get in the fucking truck Andrew." It's my turn to tell him, and he better listen. Off his knees, he raises his hands, slowly stepping to the truck. "Leave once you get in." This won't take long.

"Veronica-."

"Leave!" The scream shocks all of us. I wait until he finally does as I said. I see the reverse lights turn on, and he backs out of the tunnel. It's just us in the dark. A place I'm all too familiar with.