Chapter 36: Why am I staying?

TRIGGER WARNING: Chapter contains domestic abuse, and sexual assault.

"Flower, what's wrong? You're not yourself." We rock back and forth in the recliner chair. "You know I love you right? Look at me."

"I wish you and mommy were together." Tears run down her face faster than I can run anymore. "I don't like Derrick." My feet stop pushing the chair in motion. Derrick is Vee's boyfriend.

"Why not baby?" I need to get answers out so I can help her. "Does he hurt you?" Remember when I said I calmed down, and got right with god? I can feel that relationship crumbling by the second. I know he teaches to forgive, but so help me if he did anything to my daughter, I'll do much more than kill him.

I quickly check her features, not seeming to find any bruises or cuts. "He's not nice anymore."

"Flower, did he ever hurt you? I need to know hunny. You're not in trouble, I promise."

"No daddy." My heart beat goes back to normal again. It seems like she's about to speak up again, and before I can, Kiara does for the two of us.

"Andrew, let's take Flower to build a pony stuffed animal."

Her peachy cheeks rise with a smile. "That sound fun?" I get a cheery yes from her. That's more like my girl. "We'll talk later tonight okay?" Her blonde hair bounces as she nods her head, continuing to play with her pony. "You can take Penny the pony with us."

Lifting her up, we walk past the flat screen, to the open kitchen, I sit her in her chair. "I'll be right back baby. I'll get you something to eat before we leave."

Stalking to the back bedroom where Kiara continues to get ready, I stand behind her as she fixes her face. A face that doesn't need a trace of make up. "Beautiful...thank you for welcoming my daughter and treating her with respect."

Kiara stops splotching whatever makeup brush she was using on her face. Turning to face me, my chin ends up in her hand. Tugging me closer, I get to taste her naked lips. "She's a sweetheart Andrew. That's your daughter, I hope you didn't think I'd treat her any different."

Pecking her cheek, "Of course not baby. It's just some people treat other people's kids differently, and I'm so glad you're not like that."

"I love you Andrew, and your daughter is really growing on me."

That brings a wide smile to my face. "I'm happy about that." Hands on her hips. I pick her up, accidentally knocking her makeup on the ground.

"It's okay." She grabs my head, "I'll get it. Just kiss me."

"Mmh. I'm craving dark chocolate." The way her fingers whisper in my hair drives me up the walls.

"Tonight."

I'll be starved by then, but she's right. "Tonight."

Veronica

The drive home blurred together like lines of cocaine. I shouldn't accuse Andrew of dealing again, but how else could he afford that place? Unless she's taking care of him, which is possible. Derrick should be getting home from work soon, and I'm dreading his appearance.

I've lost a lot of weight from the stress of life. Seems for me, it never stops. I'm constantly blinded by what I believe is love. I can't escape it. I debate packing up my things and leaving, but where would I go? I have no money. No job. No friends.

Back to square one. Biting at the skin of my forefinger, that's the only thing I can get to my stomach. I pace around the house in fear of what will happen tonight. Counting the seconds on the watch until he's here, he never misses a beat.