Chapter 46: Nightmare

Andrew

Losing it with the wet dreams and crud thoughts of my ex wife. How could I stoop so low to do what I did? Guilt swarms through my gut, streaming through my veins, it's everywhere inside of my system. The one thing she asked me not to do, I did. I had sex with past Veronica. The one who would be comfortable, is comfortable with me.

She's pure, and has no idea that her husband was framed. No idea about the abuse she endured from her ex. That he raped her, and present Veronica wasn't ready for sex. She wanted to build that trust up again. But I couldn't allow her to go out and fuck some fucking douche.

I'd rather it be me, than someone else she doesn't know. A stranger wouldn't know her body. They don't know what gets her off. Her past is blank to them. Veronica is fragile, but she isn't even aware of that, or how strong she is. She begged me to sleep in the bed with her, but I couldn't bring myself to.

I've been sitting upright on this couch all night, watching the memories in my head. Knowing that if I did lay next to her at night, I could have gotten sleep, but only if we didn't have sex. The shame is too much for me. I couldn't lay beside her knowing what I did. Purple and pink clouds hoard around the shining yellow sun as it rises. As I'm about to go outside and bask in the warmth of the uv rays, I hear an earth shattering scream.

Flower?! Cries wail out into the hallway, echoing as they bounce off the walls. I race back to where Flower is sleeping. I push the door open to see her eyes shut, lost in a dream. Vee? I charge back to the back bedroom. Finding her cradled, rocking back and forth.

Hesitantly, I take a seat on the edge of the bed. "What happened?" Hair covers her beautiful face. I wish I could reach over and push it back, but I'm afraid of the consequences. "Baby?"

"I had a b-bad dream." Rounding the bed, I sit next to her, wrapping my arm around her.

Rubbing her shoulder, "Tell me what it was about."

Her little body shakes under me. Goosebumps crawl over her skin. "It was awful. Some guy that was supposed to be my dad was selling drugs, doing drugs. You were our neighbor, and best friends with my brother. You were so mean to me. Sleeping with different girls, you didn't want me. Then I was being raped by my brother and his friend, but you saved me."

Dear god. She's experiencing everything all over again. Her memories are coming back. "Is this the first dream you had?"

Her head shakes back in forth. "No, every night I've had dreams about me being a child. They were awful too. Just not this bad."

Christ. I don't know how to let her down easy. Taking her hands, I smooth my thumb over her palms. "Baby...those aren't dreams. Sweetheart, they are memories."

She gasps and I feel even worse about what I did the prior night. "I-I was raped by my brother?"

Fuck! "Come here." I swoop her into my lap. We rock back and forth. "Your memory is coming back. Everything is true. The trauma is unleashing. I'm so sorry baby. You don't deserve this."

Sobs erupt, and lava spews from her eye sockets. "Is that why you left me?"

Flinching, I'm astonished she actually asked me that.  "No! Veronica, no. Not at all. What the hell? That's not why we divorced. You wanted this divorce!" Shit now I'm heated, and I'm blaming her. The lava is escaping me to. "Baby, what happened to you wasn't your fault. You weren't happy with me anymore, and-." I allow the silence to linger, too afraid to remind her of what she thinks I committed.

"And what Andrew? What else was I not happy with?"

My eyes falter, I can't seem to make contact. "We'll talk about this another time. I'll start the bubble bath and make you some breakfast."