Chapter 40: Tunnel Vision

Veronica

A knock sounds. I feel like opening the door, then slamming it in whoever's face that's disturbing me. I could curl up in a ball and cry, but I'm so used to pain by now that there's no point. I don't even know why I'm surprised anymore.

At least I get to pick up Flower from Miss Jane's in an hour. The room service man stands before me. Faking my mood, I mask the irritation. "Hi." Tightening the ropes around my robe, he hands me a tiny clipboard after I swipe my card. I sign my name quickly then hand it over.

"Ma'am, the elevator isn't working at the moment. We're trying to hurry to get it fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience."

A disdained look on my face. I'm too gloomy to take the stairs. Oh well. It'll do me good to get some exercise. "I wonder what happened to it."

The man ticks the clipboard under his armpit. "Some woman was up here causing commotion. Security had to escort her out. They ran a background check. Apparently she's a crazy stalker. A poor man was up here trying to fight her off. On this floor actually. She just wasn't having it. Seems a bit psycho to me." The man twirls his fingers beside his temple. "We watched it on the security footage. She was beating the elevator buttons with her shoes. Screaming the man's name, he was trying to get away from her."

"What was the man's name?" I question.

"Sorry, but we aren't allowed to release the guests name. I probably shouldn't have even told you this much. Anyway, have a good day ma'am."

"Yeah, you to.", quietly said. He wheels the cart away. Was Andrew telling me the truth?

<\3

The breakfast became cold after too much thinking, and not eating. The leftovers, I placed into the fridge. Showered, I pull my phone out and dial Miss Jane, excited to see my baby. The rings coast into my ear.

"Hi deary! How are you?"

Her sweet voice warms my soul. "Hi Miss Jane, good, how are you?"

"I'm fine dear. What do you need?"

I squint my eyes. She never seemed to have memory loss. How can she forget that I'm calling because my daughter is with her? "I'm just calling to let you know I'm on my way to pick up Flower."

The line falters to silence. Her warm tone turns icy quick. "She's not here hun. I'm confused. You sent your friend over to pick her up."

"What?? No, I didn't. Miss Jane, what did this friend look like?"

She begins to name off her features. "Oh dear, well she's a gorgeous woman. Long black hair, blue eyes, a pink outfit. She said you were too busy to pick up Flower, so you sent her." The phone drops out of my hand. Andrew was telling the truth. The woman is crazy!

Scrounging for my phone, I lift it to my ears. "Oh god, my baby! Please call the police! I have to call Andrew." Hanging up without her knowledge, I dial up Andrew. I'm only hoping he answers.

Pacing in circles, I'm about to throw up. What has she done? Oh Flower, please be safe. "Vee?" Oh thank god.

I thought I could hold it together, but I break apart. Each bit of my patience has been picked. "Andrew! Sh-she took her!" I sob into the phone. I hope he can formulate the words.

"Baby, slow down I can't understand you. What happened?"

"Miss, Miss Jane said Aubrey came to pick up Flower. I never told her to Andrew! She's gone! Please, help me find our daughter!"