Chapter 34

A/N: WARNING. I'm just gonna put a trigger warning on this entire chapter, especially if anyone you're close to is in the military. I know from the instagram of one of my readers in particular that she has a friend going into the military so I posted a trigger warning with her specifically in mind but if anyone else reading this has a loved one in the military...you've been warned.

Chris' POV

The next day Saturday.

Riley is munching on a piece of toast and Sabrina and I are sipping on coffee. She and I still have a few days left at home, but we have to start getting ready for our next tour. In fact, the band's first rehearsal is today.

It's been a pretty good morning so far...

And then Riley's phone rings.

She looks at the caller ID and her eyes widen, "It's Max!" She exclaims before answering it, "Hello?...Hey! Why haven't I heard from you? Why haven't you been to school?...Yeah...Yeah, why?...Huh?...I don't understand...What happened?...Max...Max, you're scaring me...What's going on...Max?" Riley then gasps, "Oh my God, Max!...Oh my God...Oh my...God...Oh, Max, I'm so sorry...Oh my God...Yes, absolutely...Of course you can come over!...Yes, hun...Okay...Yes...Okay, I'll see you then. I love you." She says before hanging up.

"Um...Sure, Max can come over! Thanks for asking!" I say, sarcastically.

Sabrina smacks my arm, then looks to Riley, "What's going on, Riley? Is everything alright?"

Riley just stands there.

"Riley...?" I ask, standing.

She swallows, "A helicopter full of soldiers crashed in Afghanistan."

It takes a minute, but Sabrina's eyes widen.

"Max's dad is in Afghanistan." She states.

My stomach drops, "Oh my God."

Riley nods, "He helped a lot of people get to safety and got a purple heart, but...He didn't...

Sabrina covers her mouth in shock. I take a step toward Riley.

"Soo...Is he...?" I ask, holding my breath.

Riley nods, "Max's dad is dead. They've known four days."

"Oh my God..." I exhale.

"That's why she hasn't been to school lately...She sounded like a mess on the phone. She hasn't slept, she hasn't eaten. Her mom has done nothing but drink and smoke, and today she finally decided she couldn't be alone anymore and..."

"Well she can stay as long as she wants. She can even stay the night if she needs to." Sabrina says.

"Really?" Riley asks, looking to me.

I think a minute, "Separate bedrooms, got it?"

Riley nods, "I'll go get the spare room next to mine ready."

"I'll help you." Sabrina says, walking off with Riley and leaving me alone.

Then I remember.

Rehearsals.

I mentally facepalm, then decide to call Josh.

"Hello?"

"Hey, man, I gotta talk to you." I say.

"What's up?"

"I might be a little late for rehearsals today."

"What? Why?!"