Chapter 3: The start of an adventure

Salacia POV

I followed between Thorin and Gandalf on my pony. "Do you think he'll come?" I asked Gandalf. "Probably not." Thorin said bluntly. I smirked at the dwarf. "Care to take a wager on that?" I asked. Thorin grinned. "Id be glad too." He said. I reached and we shook hands sealing the deal. Soon enough all the dwarves where placing bets, even Gandalf.

A little while later none other than bilbo Baggins showed up waving a contract in his hands. "I've signed it! I've signed it!!!" He yelled. I stopped my pony along with the rest of us. He handed Balin the contract to look over. "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield." Balin said. I smiled then looked at Thorin. "Well Mr. Oakenshield, pay up!" I laughed. He sighed and handed me a bag of coins. "Thank you~" I said putting it into my bag.

A little while later we found a nice spot to stop for the night. I decided to get to know Kili and Fili. We laughed and talked about our past, childhood. "Then I'm hanging from the tree with one hand and holing Kili by the foot with the other while he tried to pull the arrow he shot and lodged between two boulders over the roaring river." Fili laughed. I held my stomach and laughed. "How does someone even shoot an arrow like that??!" I asked. Kili shrugged, "I'm skilled~" he said with a high and mighty look. I laughed and nodded, "yeah in all special ways." I said with a smile before standing to get some more stew. I got what I wanted and sat back down in silence as the there's if us smoked our pipes. My eyes darted around the company landing of Bilbo who was sneaking his pony an apple. Who am I to judge though? I've snuck mine like five on the way up here. Suddenly we heard a screech. Bilbo shot up in terror, "what was that?!" He asked. I heard Kili speak up, "orcs..." He said. "Orcs?!" Bilbo asked. "Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them." Fili said, obvious that they where trying to scare Bilbo. "They strike in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams." Kili added. "Just lots of blood..." I said with a low and serious tone. Bilbo turned and looked at Gandalf worried, I covered my mouth from laughing. "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Thorin asked getting up, shooting Fili and Kili an unpleased look. "We didn't mean anything by it..." Kili said apologetically. "No you didn't, you know nothing of the word, he said looked at all three of us then storming away. "I know a lot of the world..." I thought to myself. Suddenly Balin came and stood by us behind me. I moved to sit in between Kili and Fili so I could look at Balin. "Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs," Balin started. "After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first." I listened to closely but my eyes shot over to Thorin. "Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King." Balin said. I gasped and covered my mouth. "Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us." Balin said. "That is when I saw him: a young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc." Balin said while looking to Thorin. "He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armor rent...wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield." Balin told us of how Thorin had cut off Azogs hand and he was carried away by other orcs. Azog, the Defiler, learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast, no song, that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived." I noticed Thorin turning around, looked at the company. "And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King." I looked on Thorin with new respect. "What happened to him? Azog?" I asked looking at Balin. "He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin said coming back. I looked at Fili who gave me a look of sadness yet pride. "Your uncles amazing..." I whispered. "Yes, he is." Fili and Kili said at the same time. I sighed and layed back, looking at the stars above us. "Salacia?" I heard Kili ask. "Yeah?" I replied looking at him. "What's your favorite spell you can use?" He asked. "Would you like to see?" I asked. Kili nodded. I held my hand up toward the sly and summoned a ball of light into my hand. I held my other hand up and twisted the light into the form of a dragon, then fish, then rabbit. I had them fly, swim and hop around the camp. The dwarves smiled watching the small light animals. "Did Radagast teach you that?" Gandalf asked. I shook my head, "no, I taught myself how to bend light." I said before closing my hand, dissolving the light. "We should all rest. We have to get moving early." Thorin said. I nodded and laid back between the princes. Quickly falling asleep, but not before both of them managed to toss in their sleep and smother me on both sides. I sighed and closed my eyes. 'At least I'm warm now.' I thought before falling asleep.