40 | face-to-faceless

CHAPTER 40,

FACE-TO-FACELESS

"It's just rumours

"It's just rumours. They don't know anything."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

INDIANA WALKS THROUGH the school hallways, her hand intertwined with Liam's as a way for the two to reassure each other. Stares are felt on them, as well as the whispers about the incident that occurred on the street last night. However, it's aimed towards Liam since no one actually saw Indiana as a werewolf since her head was kept down.

"Why is she with him?"

"She can do better than that thing."

"What's he even doing here?"

"What are they thinking letting him come to school?"

"Just block it out." Mason instructs.

"They know." Liam replies.

"It's just rumours. They don't know anything." Mason replies.

"They know everything." Corey informs as he appears beside them. "Two sophomores on the lacrosse team were there last night."

"But it was late so it was pitch black out, there was fog on the road." Mason reasons.

"It was a clear night, full moon, and a well-lit intersection." Corey corrects.

"We have to get out of here." Liam says.

"No, if you leave then these rumours never stop. You've gotta convince them that you're a regular kid." Mason tells him. "They already think Indi is."

"That's because I was protecting her and she was beside Brett and Lori." Liam replies. "But we're not regular kids. We turn into a creature with claws and fangs."

"Then just get through the day without shifting. Stay beside Indi all day if you really have to." Corey says.

"People are saying that Brett and Lori died in a car accident, but we know the truth. They didn't just die, they were murdered." Indiana states, blinking back tears.

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

Liam walks out of the boys locker room with a look of disappointment crossed over his face, it being shown by a small frown. His eyes land on Indiana as she passes by with Corey and Mason, noticing him and making her way over to him.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Indiana asks.

"I gave up being captain." Liam replies.

"Liam—" Indiana begins.