~Chapter 1~

^^ERODA trailer^^

ANNABEL FLEMMING

Spring break could not have come any sooner.

It is my sophomore year in college and so far, nursing school is a pain in the ass. I don't think I have had one moment this year so far where I wasn't either studying or cramming in my three hours of sleep. They told me it would be tough, but I never thought that I would be the person who needs to bring a cappuccino around with me in the mornings, just to keep my eyes open. Freshman year was a breeze compared to this year. I had a life last year, now it just seems that I am living every day in a constant study hall.

But now it is spring break, which means no cramming for exams, no staying up all night with my eyes glued to worksheets or computer screens, no wracking my brain for the right answers. It is spring break which means it is time to relax. It's about time I get a few stress-free days.

"We're here," Rylee says as her small yellow car comes to a sudden stop. I wanted to stay home and sleep in today so bad, but she practically dragged me out of my house so that I would come here to the beach with her.  After what seemed like hours of her constantly bugging me, I finally gave in. I could use some sun and I did need the energy after all. So here I am, in a purple bikini, hopping out of Rylee's car, and walking towards the beach. Rylee and I are not as close as we were last year. We have been friends since our junior year of High school, and we are both in nursing school. Although she is my roommate and best friend, we haven't had much time to hang out with everything stressing us out in our classes. So this felt like a great opportunity for us to catch up. "The guys should be here already."

I follow her towards the beach, trotting behind in my cheap black flip-flops, with a pool towel in my hands. Rylee is wearing one of those ridiculous beach hats on top of her bright red hair and carrying a big bag on her shoulder. There is no telling what all she is carrying in that bag. Most likely it is some of those magazines she always has her nose stuck in.

As we get to the sand, I take off my flip-flops and leave them under a palm tree where there are piles of other people's shoes. My feet sink into the warm sand as I walk faster, trying to catch up with my friend. We continue walking in silence until we see two guys waving at us across the beach. I smile and giggle at the familiar faces as we walk faster towards them. We eventually make it to them after walking across the beach in the soft sand, my feet being borderline numb from the tiring walk.

"It's spring break ladies!" Owen yells in excitement with his fists in the air above his head. He runs up to Rylee, pulling her in a tight hug before planting a kiss right on her lips. I look away, out of discomfort, and make eye contact with the other person standing there.

"Hey Todd," I smile as he pulls me into a hug, kissing my cheek. Todd and I have been dating for three years now. Unlike Rylee and Owen, we do not flaunt our relationship in public. It is uncomfortable for us and I feel like it is uncomfortable for the people around us as well. No one on this beach wants to see anyone sucking face. He pulls out of the hug before speaking.

"Ready for this week? I know you have been stressed lately."

"Yeah," I chuckle. "I could probably lay down in this sand and take a ten-hour nap right now." I spread out my orange beach towel as I speak. Rylee and Owen are still making out to the left of us and I try to ignore them. Todd does the same before sitting down on his towel next to me. I pull out my sunscreen and start rubbing it all over my body, trying my best to get every spot. I burn easily, especially on my shoulders and on my nose, so I have to be tedious with my sunscreen.  After completely bathing in SPF, I lie down on my stomach, putting my head on my hands and facing towards Todd.