Chapter 17

With Christmas in 4 days the airport was crowded while the two waited at the airport together. Fiona was heading back to her family and Tom to his. He had insisted he would fly to New York with her and then catch a connecting flight. It made the trip longer, of course, but he got to spend more time with Fiona.

They pulled their suitcases through LAX, a few photos taken of them as they did. The paparazzi was expecting bigger celebrities but they still recognized Tom.

"I was serious, let's just say fuck it, and go somewhere together," he whined. He knew they wouldn't follow through but he really loved the idea. 

"Babe, you want to see Max," Fiona pointed out. "You have appearances. You have things you need to do." 

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Tom rolled his eyes, not at her but the situation. She cuddled up in his arms, her legs over his. He squeezed her tightly, hoping it would stop time.

They boarded the plane, it would be a 5 ½ hour flight. Fiona hadn’t flown all that much, this would be the 4th time that she was old enough to remember. She gripped the arm rests tight as the plane started taxiing away from the airport. Tom glanced over at her, noticing her white knuckles.

“Wait, are you scared?” Tom asked with a slight smirk. He had always flown since he was young, nowhere near as often as he had recently, but he didn't remember being as scared as Fiona looked.

“Shut up,” she said slightly annoyed at his smile but she also knew she was being a little ridiculous. She was well aware that flying was beyond safer than driving and she drove often. But it was nerve wracking to be under someone else’s care and being thousands of miles in the air.

Tom wiped the smirk from his face when he saw how serious she was. He reached over and held her hand in his. They still had to wait before take off, he tried to calm her down a little before the engine would roar loudly and their seats would shake during the ascension. 

“Fi, it’s going to be fine,” he leaned closer to her and put his arm around her. Her back that was against the seat was sweaty, Tom stifled his laughter. He didn’t find it funny that she was having an anxiety attack but just that she didn’t let on how scared she was prior to being strapped into the seat. He wondered if she thought she was hiding it well. 

“I know, it will. But it's just scary,” she looked over at him. Her eyes were sad to look at, he felt her nerves through them.

“I love you. Tell me what your apartment is like. How will it be with me living there?” He asked, rubbing her moist back gently. 

“Uhh,” She tried to focus on anything other than the uncertainty of their impending doom. “Well it’s small. Slightly bigger than your hotel though, I guess. Wood floors, but they get gross with litter, if I’m being honest.”

Tom had a feeling Fiona wasn’t the neatest, based on her cluttered dorm room, but her with two cats made him wondering how bad it could be. Regardless, he would brave it out for her. He thought about waking up next to her every day, not just most days, and both of their stuff in one place, not just a change of clothes and a toothbrush. 

"What are your cats personalities? Like will they scratch me or can I pick them up?" Tom asked. Fiona had told him but he knew she loved talking about them, just like him with Max. The jet engines roared on the sides of the plane, it was only a matter of seconds before it would be speeding down the runway at 160mph. 

Tom offered his hand to Fiona, who squeezed it tightly. He was surprised someone so little could be so strong. She bit her lip and closed her eyes, only the blue sky was visible outside the window.