Chapter Nineteen: Entering a Wolf's Den

"The facts you overlooked." I mimicked. "You're too old not to realize that you've made similar devastating decisions in the past."

Ripping a large chunk out of the chocolate bar in my hand with my pointy teeth, I threw my arms wildly around the air. Just who in the hell did Dani think she was! Telling me my feelings! Who the hell did Cillian think he was telling me that I didn't want him dead! Ta ifreann with them both! Icy wind bit at the exposed skin of my cheeks and hands but I barely felt it as I angrily crunched my way through the thick layer of snow.

"Hurt me? Hurt me? Pah!" I sneered, slamming my slowly numbing feet in the ground. "It was betrayal! He didn't call me ugly, Dani! He slammed an iron stake in my chest and then threw me in prison! Prison!"

Grumbling, I waved a hand at the tree in my path and watched as it picked itself up by its roots and scuttled off. "I'm transferring my anger, am I? I'll transfer it right up your nosey fucking ass!"

Panting from all the screaming I'd been doing around the woods for the past half hour, I took another large bite of chocolate and felt the last of my anger drain from my body. Letting my hands flop down to my sides, I dropped my head back on my shoulders and groaned loud and long. Why did you have to say that shit, Dani? Why'd you have to bring up my past decisions and how similar they were to his?

Was I being hypocritical? Because it was true if I really thought about it. I made a decision on what I thought was right without asking any of my people and went to battle against Mab. A lot of Fae died in that battle, in battle that they hadn't chosen or decided on. So could I really be upset with Cillian for practically doing the exact same thing?

Kicking up a tuft of snow, I raised a heavy arm and took a forced bite out of the chocolatey goodness. Sighing, I chewed lazily and restarted the path towards Kaiya's pack. When the fuck did my life become so complicated? A snort jumped free of my nose at the load of bullshit I'd just told myself. My life had always been complicated but it was this new complication with Cillian that was irritating the shit out of me.

When another gust of freezing wind rushed over my chapped cheeks, I shook my head at my own idiocy. Closing my eyes, I envisioned the small cabin I had taken her to after we met. But as the ground fell away under my feet, I quickly reopened them. Did I travel to her cabin or to the main house that I had passed on the way to the door between our realms? These shifters were more of a primal kind and I did consider Kaiya one of my best friendssssss... better not stir the wolves into a frenzy.

Restarting, I envisioned the large wooden log cabin with a wrap around porch covered in snow and creaking with age. The cold ground beneath my feet disappeared as a sense of complete weightlessness overcame my entire body. Within a minute, my eyelids were sliding open in time with the solid ground pushing up against my boots. The old but charming cabin stood a few feet away from my position at the edge of the gravel road. With a few neutral colored cars parked out front besides a somewhat expensive looking bus.

Taking another bite of my dwindling chocolate bar, I strolled towards the front door. The small parking lot and surrounding area was devoid of life but the cabin was ablaze with lights. Shadows passed the curtained window on the right side of the house when I stomped up the porch steps. Hip chains clinking, I raised a ring ladened hand to the hard wood and knocked.

Poor timing though as a round of loud curses and groans could be heard from my position on the porch. Casting my eyes to the left and then to the right, I shrugged and gripped the handle. That was enough politeness for one day. I was prepared to command the handle to do my bidding when it twisted without resistance underneath my palm. Dark green walls covered in pictures of wolves came into view as the door slowly swung open.