Chapter 36

*PLEASE READ*

This is a TRIGGER WARNING. Hints of sensitive topics come up in this chapter, so please read with caution.

- Sian

Pip was on his step ladder in the library when Krey stormed up the stairs. "Pip!" he said desperately, frightening him into dropping a few books. "Mum hasn't turned up at the Shadow Packhouse!"

"How come?" Pip noticed his panic and remained calm, not wanting to make it worse.

"I don't know. They didn't even know she was visiting! She lied when she said she called already!" Krey gripped the front of his hair.

Pip quickly slotted the rest of the books onto the shelf, not even putting them in the right alphabetical order. He swung his leg around the step ladder and large hands held his waist to assist him down. When Pip's socks touched the floor, Krey only held him tighter.

"What if she's gone off to... to do something stupid?" Krey asked.

"Like what?"

"Like- hurting herself."

Pip turned in Krey's arms. His brown eyes were big and concerned. Pip reached up and Krey crouched so his hand could meet his cheek. Pip softly caressed it. Now that they were on good terms again, he couldn't resist being affectionate at every opportunity. "Maybe there's traffic?"

"There's not."

"Is there a way to get in touch with the driver? What number did she use to order the car?"

"It's a government car." Krey suddenly stood up straighter and Pip's hand slipped away. "We only have one number for that sort of stuff. I'll call them!" He took the hand that still hovered in the air and dragged Pip through the library. Krey needed his presence to stay somewhat calm.

Pip hurried by Krey's large strides and had to tell him to slow down on the stairs. The varnished wood was slippery in socks.

When they tumbled into the office, Francis was by Krey's desk, on the phone to the last Eastern Pack who hadn't seen Makena, or any government cars. "Okay, thank you for your time," Francis managed to say before Krey grabbed the phone from her.

"Where's the number that mum would've used?" He asked.

Pip perched on the chair, watching Krey carefully. He was stressed, and Pip hoped to whoever listened that Makena hadn't done what Krey thought she had done. She had been looking rather run down and weak, but Pip had never met a stronger person. Unless... it was all just an act, and she had been dissolving slowly inside.

Pip couldn't imagine living on after Krey. It wasn't really possible for humans, but if he could, he wasn't sure he would want to live without the one person his soul connected to the most. Love for soulmates was everything. Pip's favourite part of the day was sometimes climbing into bed with Krey. Or reading a good book with his head on Krey's lap.

Pip could see why Makena had steadily declined. He understood, but he didn't know what it was like, and he hoped he would never know.

Krey paced with the phone to his ear. It wasn't cordless, and Francis had to grab the other end to stop it from falling off the desk and pulling everything else with it.

"They're not answering," Krey growled and for a moment, he thought about throwing the phone into the wall until he connected with blue eyes in the corner. Calm down, he thought. Don't cause a scene. This is not you anymore.