Assassin AU Part 3- DreamNotFound

This took way too long and it's a really short one but I finally powered through it. I think it's alright for someone who sucks at writing endings, but what do I know lmao. Hope you enjoy!

George's POV

I watched with blurry eyes as Dream walked out the door without another word. The moment he was gone I threw myself onto the ground next to Nick.

"Nick, oh my god- are you okay? Are you hurt?"

He let out a small, "I'm fine," as I diverted my attention to the closed door, then to the blade that lay a few feet away. Whatever the hell just happened was over.

Dream's POV

"Back so soon? Is the job done?" My boss asked.

I could tell she was skeptical. I was covered in severely less blood than usual, and my knife was gone.

"Yep. It was an easy job. Nick's dead and his roommate isn't home yet."

She nodded, not bothering to question anything else. "Great job. Here."

She handed me a check and it made me feel sick. I didn't deserve that. And how could I brush myself off and move on to the next assignment after everything I'd just been through?

"Actually, ma'am...I don't want it. Because I quit."

She seemed far less surprised than I figured she would, although I noticed a slight moment of shock on her face. "Alright, Dream. Don't forget your things in the back room."

"That's it?"

"I've told you a thousand times before to get a life. If you're finally going to go get one, I'm not stopping you. You've been a great part of the team, an essential one even. But I knew you weren't going to stay forever. As long as you stay out of our business and don't contact authorities, we'll leave you alone," she said.

I grinned. "Thank you ma'am. Thank you."

As I left to gather my things, I smiled softly to myself. This would be the last time I'd ever see this dull, gray walls, or have to wash blood out of my clothes, or search for information about victims who's lives I never even knew about. Maybe normal could be destined for me after all.

*One month later*

I had rented out a small apartment and gotten a job at a family-owned boba tea shop. I had befriended my coworkers in ways that I never befriended people in my past. I was doing a hell of a good job at this whole 'normal' thing. Everything I had once been a part of was behind me, and I had one person to thank. I wish I had the chance to thank him for that.

As I was walking around the supermarket one day, I got that chance as we both made eye contact from across the store.

I wasn't entirely sure what to do. Did I talk to him? Would he run and call the police? Would he even remember who I was? Based on the look he was giving me, he seemed to definitely remember me. And, to my surprise, he was the one to approach me.

By the time he was right in front of me and I had opened my mouth to speak, he was already halfway through his first sentence.

"First of all, how dare you show up to my apartment, hold me hostage for an hour and a half, beat the living fuck out of my friend and try to kill both us-"

"I-"

"I'm not finished."

"Sorry."

George paused for a moment. "Second of all, thanks...for not killing us, I guess..."

I wasn't sure how to respond. 'You're welcome' and 'I'm sorry' both didn't seem right. He gave me an expectant look, daring me with his pretty eyes to say something.

"Can I ask you to do something for me? I know it's insane, but just...hear me out, okay?"

He nodded slightly.

Taking a shaky breath, I continued. "I haven't gotten you out of my mind since, you know. You've changed my life. I quit everything I had and started over, and it feels...amazing. None of it would have happened without you. So, could I maybe take you to dinner? And I won't kill you when I drive you home?"

He scoffed, but I noticed the slight hint of a smile on his lips. "You're pushing your luck, aren't you, Dream?"

"Clay."

"Clay?"

"My name. My name is Clay. And yeah, I know. But I figured I should at least try. You saved me, in a way."

George giggled and my heart melted.

"Alright, Clay."

To my surprise, he stepped closer to me without hesitation and connected our lips. It only lasted for a moment, but I've never felt so alive.

*after the date*

Nick's eyes darted between the two of us, then to our intertwined hands.

"George," He started. "I'm gonna say it: You've officially lost your marbles."

A/N: Thanks for reading! Yeah, this is the end, sorry to disappoint ;w; I hope y'all enjoyed it, and let me know some other things you might wanna see in the future! Also, thanks for 2.8k reads!