31

(TW~Unsympathic Virgil, Self-deprecation and self hate, Ducking out)

"WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?" Virgil yelled out the second he knew he was out of earshot of the girl. "What could have POSSIBLY been going through your head?"

"I didn't... I... V-Virgil, I..." Roman whined unable to put his thoughts words as Virgil glared at him with such anger. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? Sorry?! Roman you stole a small girl's basket of flowers because of what? She was 'harassing' people?! She was just trying to help her mother get medicine for her brother."

"I didn't know!" Roman couldn't move. His blood so thick and cold like ice, his muscles refused to move. "I d-d-did-dn't kn-now. Virgil, p-p-pleas-se? L-Let me just..."

"No. I'm not going to listen to your shitty excuses. Roman, I thought you gave a shit." Patton tensed in the background the second Roman's eyes started to tear up. "I thought you actually cared. I thought you were trying!"

"V-V-Vir-rgil-l, d-d-do-..." Roman's voice cut out seeing the fire in his love's eyes.

"I told you. I told you. Those are my people! She was one of mine! She's only 7, Roman! The fact that she came here on her own means she was desperate! And you just..."

"Virgil, please?" Roman's voice was no louder than a whisper as Virgil just scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Please? My Pride..."

"Don't you dare blame this shit on that. I have been trying SO HARD to help you with that. Yet... You do this. You did this, Roman. You decided to do it. Not your pride!" Roman nodded slightly as Virgil laughed through the tears in his own eyes. "I thought... I just... I thought we were getting somewhere. I know I hurt you. I know said something I shouldn't have and it got misconstrued. But I didn't think it possible that you would do something like this to an innocent child because of it. So tell me. Why'd you do it?"

"Kiddo, maybe you're being a bit..."

"Stay out of it, Patton." Virgil cut the father figure off as he glared the prince down, who just stood there staring at nothing not even bothering to defend himself anymore. "Why did you do it? Give me a good reason, Roman. Because it is taking so much in me not to walk away."

"There isn't a good enough reason." Roman smiled softly but it was clear to anyone who was paying attention that it was devoid of anything, to which Virgil was not currently able to notice.

"Of course not." Virgil laughed completely broken as the tears fell and he started to pace. "I've tried. I tried. I thought maybe if you just gave me something. Roman give me something. Something I can latch onto. Something that tells me this is some kind of trick? You wouldn't really do that to a kid? Right?"

"As you can clearly see..." Roman muttered still not moving at all or changing where is gaze was. "I did do it." Virgil's arms dropped to his side as everything crashed in them both. Roman's smile widened yet never reached his eyes. "There isn't anything I can say, Virgil. You're right. I made that choice. I took the girl's flowers without even giving her a chance to explain. Several men had come up to me stating she was harassing them to buy them off her and they were not happy. One of the ladies said she was probably a thief."

"So what you're telling me is... You and people saw a girl in torn and dirty close, mostly messy that way because of all the effort it must have taken to get those flowers, and thought her a smudge on your perfection. She must be a thief to look like that. She's a begger... harassing people until they buy her flowers. Flowers, Roman. She was selling fucking flowers!" Roman didn't flinch at that time. "I honestly can't believe you right now. I can't... I just don't understand." Virgil broke down as furiously wiped his tears away. "I thought you had changed... or at least were trying..."