Recovery

3rd Person POV

When Astrid finally awoke the next morning the first thing she noticed was that Hiccup had moved from his original sleeping position. Instead of lying in the center of the arena like he was last night, he was curled up in a little ball on the opposite side of the arena very close to the wall.

It warmed her heart a little to see that he at least had the strength to move himself last night. She slowly got up, gave a quick stretch, and walked over to sit next to him. He breathing was at a calm, slow pace. She gave a small smile at seeing him look so content.

His facial features were completely at rest. His legs were curled up to his chest with his tail wrapping around them. The bandages that tightly wrapped his chest were slightly bloodier than they were yesterday, but it wasn't a drastic change so it wasn't a huge problem to Astrid.

As she ran her fingers through his thick, messy, auburn hair her happiness died down a bit.

He was a bit too warm for comfort. Her fears were confirmed when a she placed her hand on his forehead. He definitely had a fever. Now that she realized it she could see little droplets of sweat forming on his forehead.

He gave a small whimper before rolling onto his other side, now facing the wall.

The pained sound broke Astrid's heart into a million tiny pieces but she pushed aside her own broken heart and decided to act decided to act.

She got up and began to walk over to the exit. Just before she exited the arena she looked back and saw Hiccup's tail was making small, swift movements across the floor. More small whimpers could be heard from his direction.

Astrid assumed he was having a nightmare, a common side affect of fevers. This made her feel no better. When she exited the arena she almost ran into to a large black lump sleeping right in front of the gate. She immediately recognized this 'black lump' as Toothless.

As soon as she opened the gate he perked his head up and yawned.

"Oh, I'm sorry Toothless I didn't realize you wanted in. Here how about you go in and keep an eye him for me."

With that Toothless got up and sauntered over to Hiccup where he laid down next to him. Astrid couldn't help but but smile at they brotherly bond. Then she continued on her journey to get supplies to help Hiccup. Most of the village was already awake so she wouldn't need to do any sneaking around. She filled up a bucket of water and grabbed some rags, and just as something extra she grabbed a small cooked fish in case he woke up and felt like eating, and some bandages to replace the current ones.

When she returned to the arena and saw Toothless was awake but still lying next to his best friend. Once again Astrid found herself smiling at the two. She walked into the arena and Toothless gave her a questioning look while tilting his head slightly to the side.

He got up and moved so Astrid had more room to work. She crouched down and tried to pull Hiccup gently so he would roll back over facing her. When she was unsuccessful she looked at Toothless who walked to the other side of his rider and gently rolled him over with his nose. Hiccup just gave a small moan when he was moved. Once that was done she took one of the rags and dipped it in the cool water. With the rag now soaked with water she rang it out over the bucket before placing it on his burning forehead.

When the rag was first placed on his forehead Hiccup winced before relaxing at the soothing coolness of the water.

Astrid was so focused on keeping Hiccup cool that she didn't notice Fishlegs walk in.

"Hey Astrid." he said making her jump slightly.

"How is he."  he asked nervously.

"Well he at least moved over night so I guess that's good but he's got a fever and I'm trying to break it."