seventeen

The wonders of the human body

The way people expose the whites of their teeth while endorphins soar across their insides, or the way the urge to project a incoherent noise bubbles up when something is amusing.

It was shining on Minseo's face, her belly hurting as she tried to catch a breath. The bliss of living in the moment, surrounded by the harmonious symphony of practical stranger's laughs.

Though they didn't feel like strangers at all— it was like she'd known them for years.

Comfort, the most at home she had ever felt within the city that couldn't be more unwelcoming. A place where someone like her shouldn't be, where she thought she'd never belong.

How could she feel so welcome in the house of a person she had just met?

From the macintosh candle lit by Jeno filling the room with a sweet aroma, to the comfiest dining chairs she had ever sat in, the Zhong residence felt safe.

Although, it wasn't just the decorated walls or plush cushions, it was the unfamiliar faces that seemed more congenial than anything.

It was the platinum head of hair spewing out random noises and sporting a bright grin as he wrapped his arm around Hyerin, and Jeno, bringing a sense of nonsensical humor into the room.

It was the dolphin laugh erupting from the joyous basketball player, squealing as he held his stomach in pain. His eyes crinkled almost shut, completely in amusement by his surroundings.

It was the pink haired boy who slammed his fists on the table as he bickered with everyone, trying to plaster an angry look on his face— ultimately failing. The entire table had snickered at his not-so-intimidating expression, resulting in him laughing along.

It was the sound of her little brother and his newfound best friend playing games from upstairs, reminding her of the youth she had never experienced firsthand. He was living out the friendships she had always longed for, and almost felt like she finally found.

It was the blue haired girl who rested her face on the taller boy's shoulder, snuggling against his arm for warmth. You'd think she would already be warm enough from the love he had shown her all evening, completely contrasting with his usual dark persona.

He stared down at her undeniably beautiful features with an unexplainable awe, as if it were his first time laying eyes on her. Her smile was wide as ever, like he was her only source of happiness.

It was the way they displayed love— real love.

Minseo couldn't even bring herself to be angry or envious, but more happy than anything as they lit up the whole room, something she had never really understood.

Happiness.

As the sunset filled the room with orange and magenta hues, there was not a single cloud in the sky, gray nor white. Tangerine bounced off of her warm complexion, her skin sparkling with a radiant glow.