27: The Tiger

(A/N: Edited and republished)

Previously...

"Why are we even recruiting him? We can find many other warriors with the same reputation as this guy here." Han Sou pointed towards Heung Mol, secretly concerned that he would be a danger for them all. "W-we don't even know why his death squad was disbanded, it could be because he betra-"

"I did no treachery." they heard a deep voice speaking, startling them all. Han Sou quickly gasped and turned to look in front. Mi Na and Ji Won looked at the back of the man, certain that it was him who spoke earlier.

"What?" Ji Won tilted her head.

"You better think thrice before forming a speech next time, lad." Heung Mol spoke sternly, soon standing up as he turned to face the warriors. He was a worn out man with torn clothes and a long beard protruding from his chin, his hair a bit growing as it had not been cut in quite a while, maybe it was his own choice. "My death squad was disbanded because the king thought we were too powerful to control, to give orders to. He exiled us out of fear." he chuckled in amusement.

"So you're Gye Heung Mol, under the nickname 'Serpent'?" Mi Na asked, biting her lip.

"Who else would I be? A wild pig raised at a slaughterhouse?"

"I was just making sure." Mi Na stated firmly, walking closer to the cell to get a closer look at Heung Mol. "I am Myoui Mi Na, daughter of King Song Gwangman of Gariya, and this is my sist-"

"I know who you kids are." Heung Mol scoffed, startling them. "Gariya and its everlasting troops of babies dressed in fancy armors, and when they're put in a real battlefield, they weep and cry for help." he mocked. Mi Na glared at him for speaking in such manner and choices of words about her home, gritting her teeth, but then she calmed herself down. "Now tell me, why bother coming to visit this wretched place just to see me?"

"We heard that you are a remarkable and exceptional warrior who never fails a single task assigned to you. We would like to take the opportunity to make use of someone with such incredible talent. We will set you free from this prison and in exchange you will be of help for us. You will get to feel the freedom you have yearned for a long time." Mi Na explained calmly.

"Wherever I go is prison enough for me." Heung Mol breathed out, biting on an apple that he was given to by a guard for his breakfast. "Do you really think I want freedom? You are wrong, little girl, all I ever wanted is to die, whether it be gruesome or peaceful, at least I'll be able to leave this damned world for good and not experience a life of mistreat and exile."

"We know how you feel, Heung Mol. We would be more than glad to help you. You will help us in return, and when we're finally done, then you can get the death you desire so well." Mi Na said firmly. Her words entertained the man enough as he walked closer to the girl, the only thing that separated them being the glass wall.

"What some wiseness, what some wiseness." Heung Mol chuckled in pure amusement, his rough and bitter breath staining the glass. "You will free me? And in return, I will help you? Is that what I heard from you?"

"Perfectly correct." Mi Na nodded. "If you want money, we'll be sure to pay you as much as you want."

"I don't need....money. Money is just.....money. There are many more things much worth than that." he breathed out, stretching his neck while scratching his chin. "I will serve you as I have served my wretched king in the old days, and when our quest is over, so is our contract and my allegiance to you."