She'll Serve You Hell With a Smile

Gilbert stood in the midst of the chaos ensuing at the town hall, incessantly tapping his foot with a pounding heart.

Ever since the AWA arrived at the board meeting, it had been nonstop back and forth between them and the board. Apparently, they had already heard rumors swirling of a radical organization created to tear them down and had been planning accordingly, a fact unbeknownst to the AWA.

Gilbert had claimed his spot at the back of the group with Jerry, Cole, Moody, and Charlie, all of them choosing to let the women take charge of the verbal back and forth. He had originally planned to take over Anne's spot as the leader like she had most likely hoped, but it felt almost wrong for a man to lead a revolt for women's rights. To him, it seemed almost counterintuitive.

As for the back and forth, it didn't seem to be going very well on their end. Whatever they were saying was mainly falling on deaf ears.

"I'm not sure you realize what you are doing!" Diana argued. "You cannot deprive women of a basic education and still expect them to be functioning members of society! Not allowing them to attend school will not make them less radical, it will only make them less adapt to handle everyday situations, including housework and raising children."

"That is what finishing school is for, my dear," the head of the board answered dully, raising his eyes to meet Diana's. "But I suppose you wouldn't know about that, would you?"

From beside Gilbert, Jerry tried to launch at the old man, his face twisted in anger. Together, Gilbert and Diana managed to hold him back.

Due to the commotion, the board seemed to notice the men seemingly for the first time. The head stood up.

"Gilbert Blythe?" he asked in surprise.

Diana now by Jerry's side, Gilbert let go of his brother-in-law and faced the board, though he said nothing. Part of him wished Anne was there.

"It's been a bit since I have seen you," the head continued. "Where's your little wife?"

A sudden fire ignited in Gilbert's chest. "I beg your misogynistic pardon?" he asked in a fury. "Anne has more intelligence, resilience, and work ethic in her pinky than any of you have in your whole body!"

(when veronica lodge can't make the misogynistic line work but gilbert blythe sure can)

Before the board could respond, a voice came from behind Gilbert.

"Gil, I'll handle this."

Everyone in the building turned to see Anne Blythe standing in the doorway with her and Gilbert's newborn baby in her arms. She had to have walked the whole way over and the pain in her eyes that she was trying to hide conveyed that.

Before he could stop it, a smile formed on Gilbert's face and he rushed over to her.

"I knew you'd come," he whispered before kissing her and Joyce.

She offered a smile, holding out her arm. "Can you help me?"

Gilbert immediately moved to hold her arm, supporting her as she shifted some of her weight onto him.

Together, they moved to the front of the room, everyone marveling at the baby in her arms.

Once they reached the board, Diana moved to help Gilbert support his wife. Anne smiled at the head.

"I find it quite cute that you thought you wouldn't see me today," she started. She gestured to Joyce. "I would like to introduce you to my daughter Joyce Blythe. I had her this morning with my wonderful husband and she is my first child of many."

She handed Joyce off to Gilbert and he started bouncing her softly as Anne stepped towards the board.

"That perfect little girl wouldn't even exist if it weren't for me attending school, because I never would have met Gilbert. However, now that she does exist, whether she goes to public school or not, I can promise you that she will be educated. Not just academically, but in the matters of equality. All of my children, girls and boys, will be raised to fight for equality. Even if you do decide to not allow women to attend school, you will not have heard the last of the Blythes."

She took a pause before adding, "Or the Lacroixs for that matter. Or the Baynards, the Spurgeons, the Sloans, they Pyes, the Boulters, the Andrews, or the Barrys. I mean, I suppose you can't have that much longer in your life, but do you really want to spend those last precious years in riots, movements, and protests? I would not think so."

The men of the board stared at Anne in stunned silence. Gilbert's heart swelled with pride as he watched his wife. He glanced down at Joyce.

"And that, sweetheart, is your wonderful mother."

Finally, the head of the board cleared his throat. "That was quite the speech, Mrs. Blythe. But how, pray tell, is your plan to pay for this, considering budget cuts were the overarching cause of this issue?"

"Nonsense!" came William Barry's voice as he and Eliza emerged from the crowd. "We will happily make up for the lacking expenses and more. But you must ensure that you will continue to give women the exact same academic, economic, and social opportunities that you offer men."

All eyes turned to the board. A pin could be dropped and it would resonate throughout the whole room. Gilbert tightened his hold on Joyce slightly as Anne stared the men, who had gathered in a huddle, down.

After an eternity, the huddle dispersed and the head came to stand before Anne again.

"We will expect to see men and women this next school year."

The room immediately erupted in applause and Gilbert watched as the AWA surrounded Anne to the point where he could no longer see her.

Smiling, he stood back. He was in no rush.

For he, Gilbert Blythe, had the rest of his life to spend with the most incredible woman in the world.

———
AN: hey sweethearts!! i am so so sorry this chapter took so long! freshman year of college is really kicking my butt lmao

anyway i think we should all strive to be anne shirley cuthbert blythe when we grow up