The Decision

Anne was sitting by herself in the waiting room when the door opened. She was astonished to see Marilla and Matthew rush in.

As soon as they saw her, they rushed over, pulling her into a tight hug as she cried.

"Oh, Anne," Marilla said softly, rubbing her back. "I'm so sorry we couldn't get here sooner."

Anne broke down and told them everything as they soothed her. Despite the awful circumstances, it felt therapeutic to have people to cry to.

Matthew kissed her temple. "I'm sorry you had to do all of this alone. We're here now, though. We will not leave."

Anne wiped a tear from her cheek. "Do you think he'll be okay?" She felt like a scared little kid, but that was alright, because that is what she was.

Marilla sighed and stroked her hair. "I hope so. He's a strong young man."

Anne sniffled and nodded. She sighed. "Is Bash coming soon?"

"He should be coming tomorrow. He's been waiting to make sure that Delphine will be okay on the train."

The three of them turned as Dr. Ward walked out of Gilbert's room.

"He's asleep," he informed. "You can go in if you're very quiet." He addressed Marilla and Matthew. "It's nice to see the two of you."

Marilla rubbed Anne's shoulder. "How about you and Matthew go in and I'll wait out here for Sebastian?"

Anne took a shaky breath and nodded. She grabbed Matthew's hand and the two of them walked into his room.

Her heart swelled and broke at the same time as she saw Gilbert sleeping. He looked so peaceful, so untroubled. She could only hope he was having nice dreams.

Matthew's hand being her only anchor, the two walked over and sat on the couch in the corner. Matthew put his arm around her and she leaned into him, her eyes remaining on her fiancé.

"He wants seven kids," she whispered, causing Matthew to look at her. A small smile formed on her face. "Lucky seven."

She took a shaky breath. "I can't lose him, Matthew," she said softly, her heart hurting. "I can't."

"I know, sweetheart," he replied, rubbing her arm.

In Matthew's embrace, Anne slowly fell into a fitful sleep.

•••

The first thing that Gilbert saw as he opened his eyes was the blinding sun. As his vision slowly adjusted, he realized that he was lying on his back in the middle of a wide open field.

He tried to push himself into a sitting position but the most he could do was prop himself up on his elbows. There was an invisible weight that seemed to be pressing down on his chest.

He felt a certain warmth in his heart as the sun shone on him. The cool breeze tickled his nose, bringing with it the smell of wildflowers. A kind of happiness spread through him.

He wondered for a moment if this was the afterlife, but something told him that he wasn't dead. At least, not yet. Maybe it was his choice.

He wasn't sure what it was, but a tiny being inside him was pulling on his heartstrings, making him feel compelled to stay. To give up. It was beautiful here. He could rest.

Almost on cue, he faintly heard a fell voice on the breeze.

"Anne," it whispered, sending chills down Gilbert's spine. He tried to get up again, but the weight pushed right back, keeping him down.

He turned his gaze as someone walked up to him. His breath caught in his throat.

"Mary?" he asked, unable to believe it.

She smiled sweetly. "Hi, Gilbert." She sat in front of him and sighed. "I understand you're experiencing a dilemma."

He exhaled. "You could say that," he agreed, still in shock.

She gave him a stern yet understanding look. "I want you to answer something for me, Gil. Do you really believe you've done all you needed to do in your life? You've accomplished everything you wanted to accomplish?"

Gilbert couldn't answer.

"You have so much to live for," she urged. "You have your full life as a doctor, a wonderful marriage, and those seven kids you want to look forward to. All of those things will be gone if you choose to lay down and die right now."

Gilbert could only stare as she stood up.

"But, of course, it's your choice," she said, her voice becoming soft again.

She waited a moment before extending a hand to him.

Gilbert watched her as a million thoughts raced through his head. He thought about this issue for a considerable moment.

Finally, he made a decision, his determination taking over his face.

The last thing he saw was Mary's blinding smile as he took her hand and she pulled him to his feet.

•••

Anne slowly woke to the feeling of Matthew gently patting her arm.

"Anne," he said softly. "Wake up."

Anne immediately remembered the weight of the current situation and couldn't even open her eyes.

"Is he gone?" she whispered, her heart ready to be shattered.

There was a pause before he replied, "Why don't you ask him yourself?"

Anne opened her eyes.

Gilbert, who just last night couldn't even get out of bed, was standing before her with the happiest expression on his face.

Her heart flooding with glee, she shrieked, "Gil!!!"

She got up and jumped into his arms, making the most joyous laugh she had ever heard sound from him.

He lifted her off the ground as she held onto him as tightly as she possibly could, crying happily.

"Thank god," she cried as he set her down.

She pulled away slightly and felt his forehead, laughing from pure joy.

"You're fever broke!" she exclaimed, holding his face. He laughed and pulled her into a passionate kiss.

Thank god, thank god, thank god.

When they pulled away, she stared into his eyes.

"I love you so much," she whispered.

He smiled. "I love you."

She ran a hand through his hair. "Also, I think seven kids sounds wonderful."

He let out a surprised laugh. "Honey, that's great, but I still need to recover."

She laughed and swatted his arm. "Not yet, you ninny!"

As Matthew and Marilla took turns hugging him, Anne stood there, feeling truly happy for the first time in what felt like forever.

It was time for the rest of her life.

———
AN: merry christmas 🥰❤️