T W E N T Y - F O U R

Fair warning, this chapter is pretty long (9329 words to be exact)! Also, no, this chapter's events did not take place during TVD, I made it up myself cause I wanted to squeeze in some Klaus and Arabella time LMAO

Enjoy!

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

The windows of the Salvatore house are propped open, allowing gusts of the cold, midnight breeze to waft into the rooms. Stefan sits comfortably on the couch, watching out the window as he sips his bourbon.

He had woken up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. Not uncommon for him throughout the years, except Elena was by his side this time. Knowing a peaceful sleep is rare for a new vampire, he had snuck out of bed and downstairs for a drink to calm his nerves.

"Oh. I didn't realize anyone was awake," His forest colored eyes drift to the door, Arabella standing awkwardly while clutching her grimoire in a pair of shorts and a knit sweater. "Nightmare?" His lips press into a thin line.

"How'd you know?"

"When we were younger--" Arabella slowly walks in, taking a seat across from her brother. "--you used to steal one of Giuseppe's alcohols and sneak outside for some air every time you had a nightmare. You always said it helped calm you down."

"Yeah, while you were outside practicing spells like a creep," Stefan chuckles, shaking his head. "It always scared me. The magic."

"I know," Arabella nods, leaning forward and pouring herself a glass. She's silent for a moment, staring down at her liquid swirling in the crystal glassware. "Full honesty, for a second. I miss talking with you," Stefan looks up in surprise. "For the last couple months I've had only Damon for company, and one can only take so many jokes and teases before they feel like they're gonna snap."

"Now you know how I felt for the past couple years," Stefan chuckles, shaking his head. "He really has a gift."

"Yeah, he really does," Arabella agrees, laughing. Her face suddenly turns serious... apologetic. "I'm sorry. About what I said the other day in the greenhouse."

"Why?" Stefan hangs his head, casting his gaze down to the glass in hand. "You were just being honest."

"I don't want you dead," Arabella shakes her head, pulling her legs up to her chest. "I just... I miss Des," She finally says, looking out the window. "I always miss him. And lately... I don't know. I just feel like I don't miss him as much as I normally do, and it confused me. When I get confused, I get angry, and then you popped up asking questions about 1922..." Arabella trails off, feeling slightly shocked with her words. It had been in the back of her mind, but she was too ashamed to say it aloud. Stefan tilts his head.

"Why not?"

"What?"

"Why don't you miss him as much?"

"Klaus," Arabella replies without thinking. She's quick to add, "All the problems he's caused have me too distracted, I guess."

"What if I told you we could get rid of those problems?" Stefan asks, leaning back in his chair. "What if I told you I have a plan?" Arabella raises a brow, grabbing the bottle and taking a swig straight from it.

"I'm listening."

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

As far as plans go, this one wasn't all too bad. Granted, it wasn't the best, but it was worth a shot.