Away from the Sun

Fresca would not be happy about my sending her home early, but I needed to be alone in the shop. I could feel it. Mom's apothecary in back needed to be cleaned and reorganized before Mrs. Potts brought in the next selection of herbs. All of our stock came from townspeople in secret or from the city, who would otherwise rather have their identities stricken from attachment with the shop. Any association might be seen as heresy, so we conducted our transactions in secret. I managed to have a greenhouse and experimental room at home that nobody knew about, but as far as the people in Northester figured, I only grew my own supplies in order to create the best product. Not even Fresca knew I had my other sources.

Redwood Lane diverged off of another path that led straight into town, a road far wider that ran throughout villages clumped together in the woods to keep safe from the beasts of the dark. Of course, noone had any validation these beasts exist, but superstitious people do, so...

I stepped out onto this road, adjusting the collar of my cloak. The hood fell and my brown hair lifted out, blowing in the light autumn air. The sun is setting, and I notice its golden light shift to the west, illuminating the trees. Shafts of light move with me, shadows starting to line the road in stripes from the trees.

I smile to myself, considering this forest a prison I wouldn't mind doing time in.

A rustle to my left and I suddenly stop. The scuffling of my boots against the ground is no more. The hem of my cloak flips in and out of itself, my skirts billowing slightly. Peering around the trees, I squint against the bright light. "Hello?"

Nobody answers, and I don't hear a sound. Which is odd. Given the time of day, I should hear SOMETHING. Not a grasshopper, cricket, or crow in sight. It is deathly quiet.

I shudder, determining to keep stride until I reach town, when another sound disturbs me, this one the snapping of twigs, followed by footfall.

I whip around, determined to find the source this time. "Alright, who's there?" Nothing can crack a twig in this wood unless it is man or bear. "I can hear you!" The footfalls stop. Nothing but a whisper of wind, and I am left standing quietly like a fool.

"Fine, then." Not to be deterred, I whip my cloak over both shoulders before setting down the empty basket. I lift my skirts, stomping angrily toward the source of the sound in hopes of hearing another. Some form of scurrying. A face to peep out. Anything.

I glance back every now and then so as not to lose sight of the road. The last thing I need right now is to lose my way in these woods at nightfall. Wouldn't that be just tragic for the folk of Northester? And before the festival, too.

I pause now and again to stop and listen. I turn around one tree, then another, keeping my eyes peeled for anything. The only I thing I hear are my own boots in the leaves. The only thing I see is more forest.

"Damn it," I curse under my breath, releasing my skirts in a huff to stop and think.

That's when I spot it...or him. Some dark form leaning against a tree, tall and lean. It notices I've spied it and ducks away.

"Wait!" I collect my skirts again and start off. I can hear it running, now, but the trees have closed in tighter and I can only its dark form moving within the shadows. Why would someone be spying on me? Is it a hunter? A townsperson? Are they an outsider, like me?

Curiosity gets the better of me, and I can't help but move faster. I am quickly running out of breath but I don't care. I want to know- I NEED to know who is watching me.

But minutes tick by, and the sun is half below the horizon before I stop to catch my breath, giving up the chase. Resting against a tree, I pant out breaths that bloom white against the cold. My forehead plants firmly against the tree bark. Time to go back.

Frustrated at feeling so close to something I did NOT know what, I turned to go back only to find...

Trees. Nothing but...trees.

"Damn," I curse again, this time with a sense of dread settling in my stomach. I ran too far and I've lost sight of the road. Nothing about this part of the forest looks familiar.

"Okay, so..." I start walking in the direction I came, searching for landmarks. This only made me feel more lost.

"The sun sets in the west," I look to where its light is beginning to fade, shivering. "As long as I walk away from it, I should end up back on the road." So I walk. And walk, and walk.

Fear begins to settle in as the gold behind me is gradually replaced by a thin line of red, purple, and indigo. The sunlight is going fast, and the forest doesn't look so bright anymore. No longer does it resemble a welcome spot, but a prison it has indeed become.

I run. Run, run...somehow, some way I have to find the road, and fast. Tears come to my eyes. Just when I believe my only hope is calling out for help, I hear another sound. A horse, nearby. "What're you doing this side of the woods?"

I turn around, finding myself looking up a beautiful chestnut horse. Atop the horse is a familiar man, one who is not at all happy to see me. "I had to drop something off down Redwood," I motion....somewhere?

"Redwood Lane is that way." He nods to the right.

I suck in my breath. Had I really wandered that far?

Bren's cabin sticks out like a thumb in the middle of the woods, lights on, chimney smoking. A welcome sight I long to see up close-

"C'mon." Bren sends his horse sideways, giving a nod. "Get on. I'll take you home."

"I can't go home," I argue. "Not just yet. I...have to close up shop."

"Let Fresca do it tonight."

I gave a pointed look. "I can't." And I can't tell him why.

He looks irritated, but doesn't argue as I mount his horse. "Won't your father be upset?"

"If he finds out," Bren starts back toward the road. "Are you going to tell?"

"I won't if you won't." And I relaxed against him, my arms wrapped around him in the most natural feeling way.

Seconds later, he stiffened, using a hand to brush me off. "Don't hold on so tightly."

I swallow back my tears, throat tightening as I nodded and kept back and away. I cast a last lingering glance toward where the sun had fallen, its light now gone and replaced with stars.