So in all Things

Kelan let me curl up against him once we were at the inn. We sat together, staring into the fireplace. I had been crying my eyes out for the past half hour while he listened to me moan and wail about Northester. About Fresca.

About Bren.

Sniffing, I took the handkerchief he handed me, his arm wrapped about my shoulders that now bore a snug afghan knit from the innkeeper. "ARe you sure about this?"

"You saw what happened tonight." I blew my nose. "I can't stay."

"This town means a lot to you, doesn't it?"

I closed my eyes. "Northester is my home. I have always loved it, but I won't deny feeling like that emotion has not been reciprocated."

"You don't have to leave everything behind."

"What would I bring with me?" I shook my head. "Mrs. Potts even thinks it's too late for me to leave. She said to leave tonight."

"A bit soon, isn't it?" And I felt him shift underneath me.

I winced, realizing my weight is probably making something numb. "I'm sorry."

"You're fine." But there was a sort of edge to his tone, now. He stared into the fire, jawline ticking as he thought about something. "It's not going to be easy, you know."

I tilted my head back to smile up at him. "Trying to talk me out of it now?"

"I just hope you're...prepared."

"Are you?"

He smiled down at me, but he didn't answer.

Something's off.

"What's wrong?"

"I think we should leave soon, but not too soon." He shifted so we could angle to look at each other. "I can help you pack tomorrow."

"I need to mostly close up shop tomorrow." I shrugged. "There's not much else to pack."

"Then I'll ready everything else." He nudged the top of my head with his chin. "Everything's going to be okay."

I nodded, staring back into the fires. We can only hope.