Into the World Below

Fresca sounded surprised when I told her about my attempted attack. "That's horrible! They can't do that!"

"They did." And Kelan stepped inside.

Fresca looked surprised to see him, but then glowered. "You're the last person I expected to see here."

He just looked to her, a silent message passing between them. There was an undercurrent of hostility I hoped to distill.

Fresca turned to me, suddenly, as if wanting to pretend he's not there. "You shouldn't walk home alone."

"I don't think you should go out alone, either," I affirmed. "Kelan's going to be staying at my place. He's going to walk us home tonight, and we'll figure out something tomorrow."

Fresca's face almost scrunched. I noticed her eye twitch, but she looked to him. "Are you planning on taking her away again?"

Kelan shifted uncomfortably. "She came back this time, didn't she?"

"Who's to say you're not going to try again?" Fresca got up close. "Zelda's like a sister to me. I'm not about to let some city slicker come in here and steal away my sister!"

"Fresca!" I gasped. How could she say something so harsh?

But Kelan remained calm. He looked at her through darkened eyes, coolly reassuring, "The only thing Zelda talked about was coming home. To the people that need her here."

"So you'll just wait around until Northester decides it's had enough, is that it?"

He smirked. "If I'm not mistaken, Fresca...YOU need her here."

Her expression softened at that. She looked to me with some bitterness in her eyes. "Maybe she'll reconsider abandoning me. This town."

I rolled my eyes. "Fresca. You closed up my shop!"

"I did what I had to!"

"Would it be so tragic if we moved to the city?" I know Fresca can be overprotective, but there isn't any reason not to move .

Fresca looked incredulous. "Are you INSANE?"

"What!"

"I can't move my whole family-"

"Your family will be fine, here," I reassured, excitedly taking her hands in mine. If I went back with Kelan to start a business, and I had Fresca? I would have real support. I'd have help! "WE can open up shop in the city."

I watched the color drain from her face and let go of her hands, stepping back in disappointment. "You're not overly fond of the idea, I take it."

"It's just...it's the city, Zelda." She started pacing and biting her lip, a nervous habit. There's something she isn't telling me, but I can't press it. If I give her time, however, we just might run out.

Even now, people are loitering outside of the shop. Darkness is beginning to fall and I notice torches being lit. The flames bounce around, shadows dancing around drawn expressions waiting for me to leave.

"We can't stay here for much longer, Fresca," I murmured, eyeing the people gathering outside. As much as I wanted to fight to good fight in Northester...I might have to leave it for awhile to get back on my feet. At least wait a few years until things settle down and I can show my face without worry of assault.

"I can't leave." Fresca turned to me. "And you can't leave me."

I balked. "I want you to come with me!"

"I can't!"

"Look, look," Kelan came forward, holding out a hand to calm our temperaments. "Why don't we just...sleep on things. Figure it out on the morning."

The way Fresca looked at him was like a traitor, a thief. Someone who'd done her a terrible wrong and she wanted to see burned in the flames of vengeance. "You...go home. Zelda and I will be just fine."

Kelan lifted his eyebrows, but pinched his lips against what he wanted to say. Better that way.

"Kelan and I are leaving." I looked to Fresca. "I really don't want you walking home alone."

"I'll be fine." She sniffed, suddenly pointing dark eyes on me. "They don't want me, after all. They're after you."

Somehow, the statement came off cold and biting, instead of the steady warning of a friend. I must have squinted from hurt, because she waved dismissively and muttered an apology, saying how she's under a lot of duress with everything.

"We all just need a good night's sleep." And she even nodded to Kelan, sudden agreement surely a signal to drop the conversation.

I let Fresca off first, watching from the window as she climbed into her wagon and took off. While there were people looking her way, even lingering closer when she went to leave, noone took action. The milling thickened around my shop over the next hour.

"It's like they're just...waiting..." I murmured, beginning to put out the lights.

"That's because they are." Kelan looked like he was readying for a fight. We met at the door, myself taking the time to wrap my cloak around and tie it. My fingers kept fumbling, shaking nervously until Kelan intervened. "Allow me."

I bit my lip, closing my eyes as he carefully tied the strings tight enough for the cloak to sit snug against my shoulders. "I'm glad you came back for me."

He smiled. "So am I."

We looked at each other, leaning forward toward one another-

A knock on the window pane startled me and we jumped apart. Bren's face loomed in the glass. He looked worried.

I opened the door, stepping out with Kelan behind me. "Zelda, you can't be here," Bren hissed. "They're getting organized."

"I see that," I nervously locked the door.

He looked to the other window, noticing the break in. "They're not going to stop."

I grit my teeth, fingers already turning cold. "I KNOW that."

Bren looked up to Kelan, suddenly noticing him standing there, and scowled. "What're you doing here?"

Kelan stepped down, staying close to me as he answered, "Helping."

"I'm helping!" And Bren hopped over to my other side, protectively yanking my arm. "I'm taking her home!"

"You're leading her to hell."

"You took her there!"

"Guys!" I hissed, noticing the people in Northester watching. They were getting closer, clustering together with torches in hand. They didn't look happy to see I had two escorts.

I untied Helda, heading toward the path that lead into the woods. Bren backed off, standing between us and the town of Northester, uneasy.

"Think he'll be alright?" Kelan asked, throwing a look back.

It's Bren. I closed my eyes, heart warming at the notion of his protection. "He'll be fine."

"Zelda!" Someone from the crowd shouted. We all three turned.

It was the reverend, a torch in hand, menacingly casting firy light over his features. His lips turned up in a menacing grin as he hollered, "You'll leave, or you'll face God's judgment!"

Anger boiled in my veins, my hand tightening the reins in my palm as I shouted, "By the sound of things, YOURS is already here."

He didn't like that, but we got home safe.