Into the World

Kelan waited for me at the inn. He smiled when seeing me approach with my bags, opening the door of the carriage for me. "Your city awaits, my lady."

I smiled to him, breathless but excited.

"Here. Allow me." He helped hitch my bags to the carriage before asking, "Have you said your goodbyes?"

"Yes." What few I was allowed. Turning back to the path from where I'd come, I thought again about Bren last night. Of all the people to try to talk me out of this, I had to admit I was surprised he had been one. Maybe he DID still have feelings for me. Maybe his frustration runsa as deep as mine, with only the interference from outsiders weaseling into our business there to tear us apart.

A gentle hand took my chin, turning my eyes to face him. Kelan looked somewhat concerned. "Having second thoughts?"

I shook my head, forcing a smile. "I'll be back."

"I wouldn't be too sure." And that broad grin returned. "I've half a mind to keep you for myself when mother is through with you."

Blushing, I climbed into the carriage. Kelan came in after, sitting opposite me. I cast one long, lingering look back at the woods. I would have to come back eventually. There was the matter of Mother's shop to deal with, and the house, but...those were all things that could be handled in writing.

Could this really BE my last day in Northester?

I breathed a staggering breath to think of never seeing Bren again, or Fresca. Mrs. Potts or-

"Hey now." Kelan reached over to take my hand, reassuring me with gentle thumb strokes. "We haven't even left, yet, and you look more homesick than my dog."

"It's just...the first time I've left this town," I admitted aloud. I didn't want to admit it to myself much less a stranger, but if I'm being honest...Northester is my home. It always will be. Whether good or bad...I have roots here. To these people and this place.

Then I thought about the gallows tree. About the shadows in the night, and the demons I've had to face in order to find myself. Despite the hatred felt my onlookers in the crowd, I came out in one piece. A lot of bad with the good, but that's not what makes a home. It's the experiences, the lessons learned. The collection of memories that make you who you are.

"I'll be alright," I gave a nod to confirm. "It will just take some time getting used to the idea of being away."

"Look as much as you like," He motioned to the trees. "Once you're in the city? You'll quickly forget all about it."

That pinched my heart like no other. I've no doubt the city is grand, but for anyone to insist that one who cares so deeply for a place could be changed by mere incandescence feels ignorant. One could no more uproot a tree in these woods and set it in the finest park in that same city. That tree will whither and die without the right companionship.

I have my suspicions much will be the same with me.

The carriage ride is long and arduous. By the end of the second day, we had arrived. "Here it is!" Kelan excitedly pulled back the curtain, ushering for me to wake from my nap.

I blinked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes in an attempt to reorient myself and clear my vision. But nothing could've prepared me for what I saw.

Buildings so high they stretched to the sky. Houses were stacked upon houses, trees dotting spots with green and shrubs of flowers surrounding the fronts of several shops, all leaning out against the sidewalk that cased either side of the cobblestone road. There were lantern posts being lit every 10 paces.

"Wow," I breathed, unable to believe my eyes. "Am I still dreaming?"

"No!" Kelan answered excitedly. "You are awake!"

Even for evening, the city felt bustling. People went to and fro, dressed in fine hats, dresses, and suits. Horses drew carriages every which way, most individually owned with some carrying a placque with the business logo or nameplate in brass stamped against the back. Kids played in the streets and scurried away whenever a horse came close.

"It's...huge!" And it felt like it would never end. I immediately became excited by the number of storefronts with awnings and tables set outside to eat. Nothing was uniform but it felt neat, straight. And clean. Surprisingly clean for a city. I'd only heard tales, but one of many was about the notorious stink coal soot that coated everything.

But this place? Somebody had indeed put in the work.

"Ah. Here we are!" Kelan declared, throwing open the door before the carriage had even stopped. He helped me out so I could stand in front of a tall building wedged between two other taller buildings. This one was by far more grand, the trim and decorative white arcitecture boast wealth and prestige.

"You live here?" I gasped.

"I do indeed!" He couldn't hide his excitement while tugging me toward the door. "Come, come! Let's get you refreshed so you can meet mother!"