Soon and Late

Mrs. Potts lives adjacent to Fresca's family. Only, instead of turning onto the red trail, you keep taking the main road until it winds up into the hills at the back of the forest. I needed some wisdom. Some advice. Someone who still saw me as me, and might understand my plight.

Mrs. Potts would be that person.

I thought I heard twigs snapping on my way up the thinning trail to her house, and stopped to look around. I pushed off my hood for a better view in my peripherals, expecting to see something. A flash of another person somewhere around here. I'm growing tired of feeling followed, watched, scrutinized.

"Whoever is out there, you can show yourself!" I hollered at the top of my lungs. "I can hear you, and I am armed! It will do you no good to sneak up on me unless you want a bullet in the lung!"

Noone said anything. Noone revealed themselves. I'm beginning to think I'm hearing things, until I notice the crows once again circling overhead. Mother used to tell me stories, about another village who had murdered a group in the sisterhood and stretched their bodies out for the crows to peck as a warning to anyone who might be trying to join.

I've never liked crows. I don't like their color. Their sound. The way they gather together and circle around like murderous vultures. Quite harmless, really, but even mom's story of familiars made me shudder.

Why crows? In the cold, breezy gusts of November...why are they still here?

I continued my trek, despite the storm clouds moving in. I wanted to be back at the shop before dark, to take Helda home. Though, with the heavy sky overhead I soon forgot about the sun. I'm starting to regret my outburst with Kelan, wishing he were here with me as a guardian.

My fingers clutch the edge of my cloak, pulling it tighter about my shoulders as I rap my other knuckles against the broad door. It opens a crack, after some shuffling and a muffled, "Who's there?"

The good side of her face peers out at me. I smile. "Mrs. Potts?"

She closes the door quickly, and I hear her fidget with the chain lock before swinging it back open and pulling me inside. "You shouldn't be here!" She hissed.

I whirl around to face her. "I'm leaving."

She looked at me, aghast.

"I'm leaving Northester. It's...it's time-"

"It's too late."

I felt my hairline prickle. "How do you mean?"

"They've organized, dear." She sucked in a breath. "They'll be coming for you any day now. Maybe even tonight."

I shook my head. "Th- they can't do that. Not so quickly."

"They're scared, Zelda. Nay, terrified! The beast has claimed yet another soul-"

"Johnny Beau."

Her eyes narrowed. "How do you know?"

I frowned. "Fresca told me."

"When?"

"This morning. At the shop."

She sank in her chair, eyeing me as if I were the enemy. "Johnny Beau was found this afternoon."

I felt my heart skip tempo, confusion pulsing in my forehead. "That doesn't make any sense-"

"No." And she drew herself, the shawl tightening about her shoulders. "No, it does not."

How would Fresca...

But I can see Mrs. Potts is wondering the same thing about me. My mouth opened and closed like a gaping fish. What could I possibly say to convince her it's not me?

"Look, Zelda. I know you. I know your mother." She didn't look at me as she went on, stirring a spoon in her tea. The sound of metal scraping porcelain made me flinch, but I didn't say anything about it. "I don't know what's going on. I don't know what is happening, and I think we should keep it that way."

"Mrs. Potts-"

"You came to talk to me, yes?"

I nodded.

"Don't. Pack your things and get out of this town as soon as you are able."

I had tears in my eyes. Ducking my head, I whispered, "I thought of you as a friend."

I heard her get up. I felt her worn hands under my chin, tilting it up until we were eye to eye. She looked serious, and then gave a half smile. "And I always thought of you as a daughter."

I smiled back.

"Which is why I am telling you to run. Run as fast and as hard as you can and don't look back, no matter what you hear."

My throat was dry as I swallowed hard and asked, "How long do I have?"

"Not long." She took a shaky breath. "You know I haven't been to church, but I've heard through the grapevine...soon. They are coming for you soon. Get out before it's too late."