Spinning on the Threads they Sew

Upon leaving the stables, I'm terrified. That creature is still here...which means what I saw was real. And worse, that it's having an effect on people.

And me. People think I'm doing this? That MOM is back to exact her revenge?

"They're looking for someone to blame again," I muttered to myself, remembering the last time this happened. A woman ended up being the town's sacrificial lamb.

Well, not this time.

Anger fueled me forward when I spotted Fresca near the shop. She looked surprised to see me, like she wasn't sure how to react. "Zelda!"

Curling my hands into fists, I stormed over. "You closed up shop?"

"You don't know what's been happening-" And she looked scared, holding up her hands to me like she wanted to explain, but didn't know where to start.

"Bren already told me. That's not an excuse."

"Look, Zelda." She pulled me aside, hissing downward, "I haven't stopped delivering the medicines. Everyone's still being taken care of, it's just under wraps-"

"That's not the point!" I yanked free, stepping back. "These people don't want to understand that we're doing good here. If they're too scared to ask for help, then anyone who doesn't already know about us will suffer. Keeping the shop open gives them hope! And it's there to tell everyone else they can fuck off!"

Fresca looked around, eyes darting to the people milling about. "Careful, Zelda. People are watching."

"Let them watch!" I whirled around to face them myself. "I don't care what you think about me! I don't care that you don't like me! But whatever's going on has nothing to do with me!"

There were people who faded back out of embarrassment, and those who glowered at me, proud and ignorant.

"I help people! There's no voodoo, no black cauldron, no chanting in the night! I'm not a witch! I just help people." I pointed then to the church, having had enough. "If you're so God-fearing, why do you deny He might've given us His creation to ease our suffering? Flowers are more than just decoration!"

Here I lost more people. Some gasped, appalled at my supposed 'blasphemy'. One man warned, "Do not take the Lord's name in vain."

I grit my teeth. "He who is without sin cast the first stone."

A lot of clucking, murmuring, and shaking heads. Maybe this isn't the way to win over the superstitious lot of Northester, but I've had enough. Casting one final glare in Fresca's direction, I stormed up the steps to my shop, and tore down the CLOSED sign.

***

"That was a little dramatic," Fresca mumbled once we were inside.

"This town thrives off of it." I removed my cloak, hung it on the peg, and took in the state of my shop. Everything was covered, but nothing moved.

"They were going to burn the place down, Zelda," Fresca sounded apologetic enough. "What was I supposed to do?"

"Stand up to them."

"I tried! They don't listen." She looked around anxiously. "Maybe we should just keep it under wraps for awhile, until we figure things out. Until things die down."

"By 'things' you mean whatever 'thing' is out there killing people?"'

She looked up.

I shook my head at how ridiculous it sounded. "What the hell has this town come to? I wasn't gone for 2 weeks, and-"

"I wasn't sure you'd return," she admitted, monotone. "To be honest, I didn't expect you would be back at all until next spring."

I hadn't expected to come back so soon either.

"What happened with Kelan?" She sounded wary in asking.

"His mother passed away." And I pulled up a chair, lowering my head in my hands. "I failed him."

"I'm sure you did all you could." She pulled up a chair of her own, reaching over to stroke my back.

Before I knew it, tears filled my eyes. Out of anger. Frustration. Sadness? "He practically kicked me out. I don't know what I did wrong, or if he was just looking for someone to blame, but...he didn't want me there anymore."

"He's grieving."

"It's...NOT." I wanted to believe Meredith's words, but I couldn't get the tone out of my head. The way he refused to look at me. "He's...angry. He needs space, but...it was as if he never wanted to see me again. He didn't even say goodbye."

"Bastard," she muttered.

"I get that he's upset, but...I'm getting tired of being put to blame for things that aren't my fault." Maybe if I had brought the necklace with me, maybe if I had showed him...he wouldn't hate me?

No. He'd me for other reasons. For killing his only hope.

"It's not your fault. We can do a lot, here, to help, but there's not a lot we can do to save someone from death." Fresca shook her head. "People become so wrapped up in talk of miracles and hereafters they want to forget we are mortal. The only thing we are assured in life...is death."

I snickered at the irony.

"Can I get you some tea?"

I nodded and she stood.

There was the sound of glass breaking- no erupting from the front of the store. We both ducked, as shards rained down on us after a thud. When I opened my eyes, I noticed a rock near the front of the store, rolling to a stop near my feet. I bent over to pick it up. Someone had painted a red X over it.

Fresca shuddered, moving to close the window uselessly over the front of the gaping hole breezing into the shop.

"This is ridiculous." I started. "I've nothing to do with any of this. Why are they blaming me? They know me! They raised me!"

Fresca looked at me woefully. "What do you want me to do?"

I can't believe I'm about to say it. Anger makes my fingers curl tightly over the rock. "Close the shop."

I marched over to the window, whipped the curtain back, and threw the rock from whence it came from.