Where the Past and the Future Bleed

I needed to deliver another shipment to Fresca's mother the next day. The powdered snow that had lighted on Northester had since melted. I decided not to take Helda down the red path in the woods, choosing to instead enjoy the modest sunset, lighting the sky gold. Powdered clouds hung low in the horizon. If I'm right, it would turn red before it became night.

My favorite kind of sky, ironically enough.

I took the path slow, at first, enjoying the walk and the surprising warmth of the November day. Weather could be unpredictable, but I want to enjoy this while I can. Before we know it, the days will be filled with endless snow and we'll be longing for the sun.

Fresca's siblings spied me coming long before I approached the house. They seemed to scatter, running to and fro from the house, calling for their mom. She met me at the door, and I started toward her with a smile, only to dim. Fresca's mother crossed her arms, eyeing me suspiciously as I made the rest of the way up the lane. "Hey. How are you?" She must be mad because I left without warning.

"I heard you're closing shop."

"That was a misunderstanding." I reassured her, adjusting the basket on my arm. "I'm staying open."

"Really?" she didn't sound too enthused.

My eyes narrowed on her. "Yes. Really."

"And here I thought you had wised up."

What is happening? "I'm sorry I left without telling you," I tried, starting for the porch.

"That's close enough, Zelda." She held out a hand to stop me. "I'm afraid I won't be needing your services anymore."

"What?" I blinked.

"Northester has its eyes on people. They've targeted you." She nodded.

"Haven't you heard about the monster?" One of the younger girls asked, eyes wide.

"Mary." She ushered her daughter inside. "I can't risk myself or my young ones. For your own sake, I suggest you close up. Leave town."

"But...they need me here." It broke my heart to hear one of my own faithful customers wanted me gone.

"They won't anymore." And she turned away, after ushering the last of her kin inside and closing the door behind.

I stood there, the wind gently moving my cloak and scattering the leaves all around. The silence was unnerving. The twisted handle of the basket bit into my hand, but I only squeezed harder and turned to go.

This isn't happening! I didn't want to believe it COULD happen. Northester couldn't turn on me like this. Not so suddenly! They're all just scared. As soon as it's known there isn't REALLY any monster, then they'll leave me alone. Things will go back to normal.

Well...as normal as they ever were before.

The wind seemed to stop, suddenly, and so did I. It was quiet. Too quiet. When I looked up at the sky again, it wasn't red. It was yellow. A musty yellow, and the clouds the dirty gray color that might be akin to ash.

"Weird," I muttered to myself, picking up the pace to return to town as quickly as possible.

But then I heard something. A scattering in the leaves. I looked to my right, remembering the same thing that had happend last time to catch me off track. Not today.

I kept going, but...the sound followed me, running parallel to my footsteps. I tested this theory out wiht a couple of footsteps before calling out, "Alright, who's there? You can stop messing around."

But it's still quiet. I don't like this. In a time when Northester is up in arms, tricksters turn to predators really quick.

As I turned to leave, I bumped into a body. A tall, broad body of one of the Dumplemin boys. His younger brother, about a foot shorter then him, hobbled on the other side. Both of them grinned at me like anything.

"Hey, guys." I made sure to take several steps around to increase the space between us. "What's up?"

"We heard you put a curse on the town." The older one cackled. "As if you were anything like your mother."

Youch. I snorted, "not one for sensitivity are you?"

"We also heard there's a price on your head." The younger one now cackled.

I nodded slowly, eyeing them both before saying, "Rumors to both. You won't get any more for me than one of Daisy's stunted pigs."

"We sure would like to try." They stepped forward.

"Don't!" I held out my hand, moving my cloak to reach back around my pistol. "I won't go easy."

"Then neither will we."

But before I could get a shot off, a voice interrupted. "Is there some trouble, here?"

I looked up in surprise, not sure I was seeing right. "Kelan?"

He stood, approaching carefully with his pistol drawn. He eyed the boys. "I wouldn't if I were you."

"Who do you think YOU are to take us on?" They backed off nonetheless.

"Well, as much as I might brag about taking a punch, Zelda here is more than capable of standing up on her own."

I smiled.

And they left, even to my surprise. "What are you doing here?" I gasped, approaching him.

"I can't seem to get you out of my mind, Zelda," He wrapped his arms around me, lowering his lips to mine. When he pulled back, he beamed, "There might just be some magic in you yet."

I grinned. "Why is that?"

"Because. I think you've bewitched me."