Dine with the Snakes

The next morning, I woke up early for breakfast, making my way down to the dining room in my nightgown, robe flowing free, and a smile on my face. MEredith must've picked up on my good mood, because she asked, "Up late last night?"

Does it show? "Kelan and I went to a dance," obviously recalled, flapping the napkin over my lap and picking up my fork. French toast with carmalized bananas and sausage with pear juice.

"I know." Meredith mused, the clattering of silver platter covers bringing up my attention sharply. "I heard you come in."

I stopped chewing. "You did?"

She gave me a look before leaving.

Did she hear us..? I shuddered to think about it.

Kelan came in, dressed to impress with a matching smile on his face. "Good morning."

I gave him a smile, still unnerved by Meredith's admonition.

"How did you sleep last night?"

"I was a bit restless," my grin widened. "There was this...obnoxious log sleeping next to me."

He sucked in a breath, eyes glinting playfully. "Oh dear. That does sound uncomfortable."

I nodded. "I managed to fall asleep somehow."

"Well, if it's any consolation, I was awoken by the SOUND of a log being sawed in half."

I let out a bark of laughter. "You don't say?"

"Yes. I didn't want to say anything, but it's quite disturbing. I had no idea a lady could be so vocal."

Balling my napkin up, I threw it playfully.

He ducked, but it struck his left shoulder before fluttering to the ground near his chair. Meredith came in time to witness, halting with the tray of vitals in her hands before giving us a scrutinizing cat-blink. "If you insist on playing in the house, I'll have to remind you of your mother's request for silence? She does not wish to be disturbed."

"She can't hear us all the way up here," Kelan looked to her, puzzled.

Meredith merely set down the tray before making a show of retrieving the napkin up off of the floor and folding it tediously before us. "Nevertheless, Master Kelan. Your mother needs her rest. Peace and quiet, if you please. No more midnight rendezvous. I'll not have the servants sqawking like a bunch of chickens at the crack of dawn. It's hard enough keeping their ears closed around here."

I played with my fork in the scrambled eggs, averting my eyes even as Kelan mimicked Meredith's facial expressions.

She caught on, but didn't say anything. Merely left the room, but not without returning my napkin and a firm hand on my shoulder that accompanied her 'advice', "Don't settle on this one. Far too many skeletons in his closet."

I smirked, biting my lip. I'm sure I'm not his first. Nor did I intend to be his last. The look that passed between us was mutual-

Just friends...having fun.

"So." Kelan dug into his steak. "What's on the agenda today?"

I cleared my throat. "Well, after breakfast I intend to make good on my promise to bring your mother some flowers."

"Is that so?"

"The woman needs fresh air. She craves the gardens." I took a small bite of toast, chewing thoughtfully. "If she can't go outside, the next best thing would be to bring the outside to her."

Kelan's smile softened, his eyes averted. "Well....that sounds just lovely."

I swallowed hard. "Kelan...as much as I want to remain hopeful, and I would like nothing more than to spare you the truth...there's not a lot left that I can do."

He shook his head. "She has a lot of years left. This isn't the end-"

"She doesn't." I held my breath briefly when he looked up. "It...is the end for her."

"No." He looked almost angry now, his face flushing red. "There is one thing you've not yet tried."

I shook my head. "I've done everything-"

"Everything BUT the stone." His fist clenched the utensil in hand. Kelan's body became rigid, his breathing steadier but with a more authorative attitude. Is he trying to intimidate me?

"That's ludicrous." And I threw my fork onto my plate, slumping back into my chair. "You would believe that some stupid rock could save your mother? Why?"

"Because. It belonged to the sisterhood. She believes in it. I believe in it."

"You would believe a lie could save your dying mother?" I scoffed. "The doctors themselves with full medical degrees and the best modern medicine money can buy know that it's too late."

"It isn't!" ANd he stood suddenly, throwing back the chair. He gestured with a crooked thumb against his own chest. "I believe in it! I know it could save her! I know!"

"You're putting your faith in fairytales," I whispered, but hesitant at the enraged look in his eye. "What you're proposing is next to lunacy. If anyone else heard you speak this way-"

"You're not like anyone else," His tone levelled. He relaxed. "Are you, Zelda?"

A cold feeling filled my gut, like drinking ice water on an empty stomach. Cocking my head, I looked at him with scrutiny. "Is that REALLY why you came to me, Kelan?"

He didn't answer.

"You didn't believe I could help her with herbal remedies or magic. You were after that emerald."

His eyes brightened. "It's an emerald?"

Oops.

"Then you do know of it?"

"I..." I fidgeted, looking down at my hands, trembling in my lap. "My mother mentioned it-"

"Where is it?" And he started over.

I stood up out of my chair, standing behind it defensively. "Hold on, now! I didn't say I had it?"

"How do you know of it?"

"It...I...my mother was part of the sisterhood-"

"She was the last to have it!" He threw the chair out of the way. I tried to jump back but he was too quick, grabbing onto both my arms and shaking me like a rag doll. "Where is it, Zelda? Where?"

"I- I..."

"It's a matter of life and death!"

Is he serious? Fear, anger, and confusion were warping my thoughts together. I didn't know how to react.

"Where is it? Tell me!"

Squeezing my eyes shut, I blurted without thinking, "It's in Northester!"

I felt his grip on me relax. He staggered a few steps back, staring at me with this...crestfallen expression. "You left it behind?"

I stood, shaking, holding myself like a woman who's just suffered a case of hysterics. My bones felt rattled. My limbs weak. "It's just a necklace, Kelan. It doesn't mean anything."

He stood, staring at me, like I'd broken his heart. Like I'd taken the most valuable thing from him and chucked it into the ocean. "Why?"

I already answered him why, but my confusion was only mounting. Why put SO much faith in a simple stone?

Maybe it's not so simple as I believed. I shuddered when remembering what Mother told me about it...but did I dare believe it might ACTUALLY hold a special power?

"Master Kelan!" Meredith suddenly came running in, all out of breath. "Come quick! It's your mother!"

He threw one look at me before straightening and marching out of the room. I followed weakly behind, Meredith's curious gaze trailing me all the way.

We already knew what was wrong.