Into the Dark and Out of the Light

Old man Gerret lived at the top of the hills on the other side of town. I took Fresca's horse, like she said, but the way the path narrowed on my way up to his cabin made the belgium nervous. Skittish. Although, I can't deny my relief at travelling farther from the woods near my home, where the incidents last night occurred.

It took over an hour before I spied his cabin, pulling up on the reins and climbing down to the ground. I clutched the reins in my hand, encouraging her on. She flicked her white mane and snorted, agitated.

A flutter of wings, and I notice the crows have followed me here. They settle in the bare branches overhead, watching. Waiting.

"A little far from town, aren't ye?"

I startled at the sudden voice, as did Fresca's horse. I managed to hold the reins as she reared back.

Old man Gerret climbed down off the porch of his cabin, grinning sideways while chewing the usual tobacco. "What brings you to my neck of the woods, girl?"

"I lost my horse last night," I explained. "Somebody told me they'd seen her here."

"She would've had to wander a bit farther from home than one would think."

"Somehow we managed to make it to the outskirts of the district," I explained.

"Somehow?" He raised a bushy gray eyebrow, stroking his stained beard briefly before spitting. The tabbaco sat like brown goo in the dirt. I couldn't help but grimace. "Somehow...you ended up on the outskirts in the middle of the night?"

"I didn't say that." I bristled.

"Your shop lights didn't go out until then." He laughed, motioning. "Or did you forget I have the best view?"

I glanced behind me, suddenly remembering. You could see all of Northester from atop his place. At night? centered in the dark? My shop lights would be the only thing to stick out beside the blacksmith's fire.

"Left awfully late," He started walking toward me, angling himself curiously. "What were you doing?"

"None of your business." I didn't want to aggravate the situation, but I wanted Helda, and I wanted to get out as soon as possible. "Do you have Helda or not?"

He stopped. Nodded. "I have her."

Relief filled my chest. "Where is she?"

He motioned to the pasture behind his house. Tying up the belgium, I moved to to the back. There was Helda, in the middle of the pasture in the valley between hills. Dark clouds layered themselves against white in the afternoon sky. It was picturesque, beautiful. You'd think you stepped into a whole other world.

"Helda!" I waved to get her attention. She came straight for me, bounding with glee. I stroked her neck, laughingly. "I'll bet you'll be sorry to leave this place, won't you?"

Leading her back around to where I left the Belgium, Old Man Gerrett followed. "Now...I can't for the life of me...think about why ye would be out so far, so late...AND lose your horse?"

I swallowed hard, not slowing my gait.

He caught up with me, wreaking of tobacco and uncleanliness. Sweat. Hay. "Unless somethin' was chasin' ye?"

I shook my head. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"Ah..." He mused, stepping back lightly. "We used to get along so well."

I eyed him as he made his way back up to the porch.

"Your mother would be proud of the woman you've become."

I grit my teeth, losing all patience. "Why does everyone keep telling me that?"

He tilted his head, amused.

"The only thing my mother would want for me if she were alive today is my death."

I spied a hint of a dark smile. He lowered his voice to a murmur. "Those're curseful words, girl. Best be careful what ye assume. In yer heart...the darkest things can sometimes come out of the light."

"You would know all about that," I countered.

I hadn't had much conversation with Old Man Gerret since I was little. I never wished to speak with him again. I never wished to see him again, except in unavoidable passing in Northester.

But he was looking at me like he's waited for this moment. He relished it. He loved to see my torment, and I hid my eyes for fear he would get the delicious taste of anger and tears all to remember from now on.

"You're a puzzle to me, girl." He shook his head, waving an arm. "Didn't we do a service to Northester?"

I looked up.

"Didn't we do what the church wanted? What the people called for? Didn't we do our duty?" He spat again, pointing to me and bellowing suddenly, "You're not the only outcast! But I'll be damned to be told you didn't ask for it!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You took your mother's shop out of guilt!" He threw his head back to bark out a short laugh, returning to nod with wide eyes. "I know."

Goosebumps sprouted along my arms. I felt a chill creep up my spine. The crows...the crows cawed above me, circling now. I can see their shadows on the ground.

"You think she won't come back?" He smiled without mirth.

I shivered. "She's dead."

"Ah. But she WAS a witch." And he giggled delightedly like a school girl. "I must say...I won't be the only one she takes vengeance on."

I can't take anymore. I climb up on Helda's back, pulling the reigns tightly while guiding the Belgium to follow. "Thank you for holding my horse!"

He laughed at my back as I raced through the trees, not even bothering to start the horses at a canter but straight for a gallop. The trees whipped past me, and I felt them strike my cheek. Bare branches lashed out like fingers of an otherworldly ghost.

The crows...the crows...the blasted crows cawed an echo that haunted me the rest of the way to town. Their shadows never left.