Over, Under

IT was dark out by the time we got back to my place. I wasted no time in lighting the lanterns, followed by the fireplace. "Maybe you should keep the shop closed tomorrow," Kelan offered, pulling up a chair.

I shook my head, sniffing as my stiff fingers worked with the kindling. "I have to stay open. It's about the statement."

"They were ready to charge you tonight."

"All the more reason to make that statement." Determination must've shown on my face because admiration lit his. "What?"

"You seem to care about this very much."

"I do."

"And I can't persuade you to come to the city with me?"

I smirked. "I already did."

"I mean again. Even without Fresca?" He looked serious.

I stared into the flames, letting the heat stretch my features. "Fresca will be fine without me. I might give her the shop when I leave. The people of Northester might be more forgiving if it's hers and not mine."

"Tell me...how did Fresca come about working at your shop?"

"We've always been close. I lived with her family when my mom died." But he knew this. He knew we were like sisters.

Was there something he WANTED to ask but was afraid to? He avoided looking at me even now. "What is it? What's on your mind?"

He side-eyed me. "Why did her mother take you in?"

I shrugged. "She knew my mother."

"But the whole town knew your mother. That didn't stop them from hanging her."

I winced, even though it was true. Fresca's mother might've been the most superstitious of the lot. "I guess she knew my mom better. In ways Northester couldn't understand."

"And yet she stood by...and let her hang."

I glared. This was starting to get too personal. "What're you implying?"

Kelan stared at me with a measured expression. "Maybe there's more to your relationship with Fresca than you're letting on."

"We're like sisters-"

"Very much so," he nodded carefully. "Perhaps your mothers said the same thing about each other."

Then, it clicked. "The sisterhood."

He waited.

I rose slowly, cocking my head at him. "Are you saying Fresca's mother was a part of the sisterhood?"

"According to my mother? Yes."

This threw me back. A shock seemed to send me spiralling against the wall. The ceiling began to spin. I noticed Kelan stand suddenly, offering to help me regain my balance, to find a chair. "Take a seat-"

"I'm fine-" I argued, even though I wasn't. I was somewhere between to shocked to move and too sick not to vomit.

"How...how long have you known?" I gasped.

"Since coming to town." He admitted. "My mother had...tales. She mentioned a woman named (). I put two and two together."

I closed my eyes, breathing in softly, "All this time..." I thought I had been helping her, to repay what I lost. My eyes shot open. "Why didn't she say anything? Why didn't she tell me?"

"And compromise her safety in Northester? I can't say that I blame her. After all, that's why my mother left for the city." Kelan cringed. "Northester...is not such a nice place to be."

I shook my head in agreement.

"Come with me, Zelda. We can be safe. You can have your practice, and I'll figure out...something. Please!"

"I...I'll sleep on it." I smiled. "Remember?"

But he didn't enjoy the humor. His eye twitched, agitated, jaw moving back and forth.

"It's most likely a yes," I reassured him. "But I have to straighten things out with Fresca before I go. I can't leave her like this."

"Ah. Fresca. No doubt she knew about your mother."

Now he's pinching a nerve. IT was one thing to announce secrets, but to suggest even my best friend would keep them from me? "She didn't."

"I'm sure she only wanted the best for you." He stood, pacing the room. "That...necklace your mother had. IT was an important artifact for the sisterhood, wasn't it?"

He's implying something again. "What're you saying, Kelan?"

"That...necklace...is more than just a jewel. IT holds something more precious than a mere stone."

I snorted, leaning back against the chair. "And I thought Fresca's mother was superstitious. You're still going on about magic and stones and-"

"Immortality," he hissed.

I peered at him through my fingers. "What?"

He nodded, excitement lighting his eyes. "That...jewel...holds the key to immortality. It is the only thing on this earth that can give a human eternal life without aging. Without growing old and dying, without falling apart."

I leaned forward. "You're speaking blasphemy."

"Tsh!" He waved dismissively, scooting to one knee and clasping my hands in his. "Think of it, Zelda. We could live forever! And we could make a fortune off of something like that in the city? Set you up with your own shop for life! I can finally go to school. I can go to sea, I can see the world!"

I stiffened, suddenly uncomfortable. "You never wanted to give that jewel to your mother, did you?" He flinched and I balked, "Did you!"

"My mother was stuck in her ways. She never would've taken it. But I'm ready and willing-"

"You won't!" I stood abruptly. "I had better go to bed before I lose my temper and ask you to leave."

"Zelda, lets not sleep on bad terms-"

I gathered a pallet, blanket, and pillow and threw it all at him. "Why not? Fresca and I aren't on good terms. And she's like a SISTER to me!"

Slamming the door on him, I threw myself onto my bed and cried at the ceiling. I'm over this. I'm over Northester. I'm over Fresca. Mom.

I'm over being under their thumbs.