The End Result

The next day, I didn't plan to spend much time in town. Johnny Beau's brother would've no doubt been found now, and I expected the town to be up in arms. I even expected to be arrested.

What I did not expect was the strong smell of woodfire and smoke along with burning plantlife coming up from Northester. Before I even entered, I recognized where the giant plume of black smoke was coming from. Dawn had not yet come up behind me, and I expected to be in and out before the town had even awoke, but I could see that was not to be the case.

As soon as I entered Northester, an age-old instinctive fear took hold. I noticed the mob of townspeople holding torches at the heart of the town. Who, but of course the reverend, was standing up in front of all of them, giving a stirring speech...

About how my time for judgment had come. To my dismay, most if not everyone in the crowd hyped in agreement, lifting fists, pitchforks, and torches. They paraded through town, yelling obscenities and screaming at how vengeance belonged to them. I could tell some of them were drunk, laughing through their stupor about how I deserved it. I was always stuckup, silent. A good-for-nothing witch like my mother.

Even though I didn't know these people and I felt they just as well didn't know me, the comments hurt. I wondered if Mom felt the same way, watching these people she had helped or held at arm's length for respect come at her like a pack of rabid dogs...

Tears came to my eyes at how alone I really felt in that moment, and how much more alone my mother must've felt. Having been abandoned by her sisterhood and turn in by her own daughter.

"I'm sorry, Mom," I whispered, not sure whether or not the blame was completely mine, but feeling in that moment that it was. I started carefully into town, ducking behind barrels, buildings, and bushes...until I came to my shop.

The people had moved to the far side, behind the church. What they would find there, I hadn't a clue, but my attentions returned to my shop. I needed to get what I could and get out AS SOON as possible.

But as soon as I faced my shop, a new horror overtook me. The fire...that had started in Northester...

....was mom's shop.

"No," I whispered, tears filling my eyes as I meandered closer. I don't know who did it, or when they did...but the entire shop was up in flames. Maybe it was one person. Maybe it was a group effort. The message couldn't be clearer-

They want me gone.

"Zelda!"

I hear Fresca through the frays, the noise in the background of the townspeople gathering to hunt me down...She's pulling me up and somehow, through the haze, she's pulling me away. "You can't be here! You have to get out!"

"My mom's shop," I sobbed, unable to look away as I watch the roof collapse in a billow of flames and smoke. "They burned Mom's shop-"

"They're planning to do a lot more before the night is through." She had Helda's reins. "Ride, Zelda! Ride like never before."

"K- Kelan is at the house-"

"Forget Kelan and ride!" She looked scared, tired and wane, and was pushing me and Helda toward the woods. "There's no time-"

"I have to get him and my things-"

"There's no time, Zelda! They're heading there right now!"

I balked, my face ashen and streaked with tears. "Why would they do that if they believe I've already gone."

"They don't want you gone, Zelda." Fresca looked around quickly and swallowed before saying, "They want you DEAD."