Stone to Bear

I stormed outside the house into the night. The lanterns had all been lit, and there was nothing to greet me but the cold and the starry sky above. I heard Kelan call for me from behind, but I kept going. I marched down the walkway to the iron gate before he caught up to me, tugging my elbow for me to stop.

"Zelda, I'm sorry-"

"You said your mother knew my mother," I shot him accusatory eyes. "You never said anything about the sisterhood."

He winced, visibly realizing he had screwed up. And he had. "I thought you might not come."

"And why is that?"

"At first, I thought it would be the perfect persuasion. Most daughters would like nothing more than to reconnect ties to their late parents, but..."

"But?" I pressed, my cheeks growing hot with anger.

"Then I saw your shop. I saw how you were, and you told me you two weren't the best to get along and I...I realized nothing would keep you from coming here than an old friend of your mother's."

"She's more than just an old friend," I mocked, leaning into him to point at the house while I hiss, "She's a witch!"

"She is my mother." The reminder was said in a tone meant to be heeded, a warning to be careful.

"She is sick and dying." I threw up my hands. "If city physicians couldn't do anything about it, there is no hope. My attempts are feeble at worst and moderate at best. There's nothing I can do here. I'm going home."

"No-" He grabbed my arm, pulling me toward him.

"Let go of me!" I cried, fighting against him with my palms against his chest. I hadn't realized how strong he was, but his arms felt like a vise, gripping me steady and holding me in place. I could hardly breathe let alone struggle.

"She needs your help." He whispered, most likely to try to calm me down.

I don't scream for fear of what passersby might assume. We're already catching funny looks.

Carefully, I pry myself from his arms until he loosens his hold on me. "Like I said. There's only so much I can do."

"But all of a sudden you're not even willing to try?" His breath comes out in puffs against the new November air. "Why?"

"Your mother knows things. About me. About the sisterhood and about Northester." I shivered. "She would hate me if she knows the whole truth."

"Tell me," he gestured. "I can back you up!"

"No." I shook my head. "This was long before you ever came along. Your involvement means very little and your mother knows that." I looked at the house, where the windows were all lit up. I see Meredith pulling aside the curtains to peer out, peeking at us. An eavesdropper and a gossip, no doubt.

She would report anything overheard back to mommy.

"Tell me!" Kelan insisted. "Please! What happened that you think is so unforgivable?"

Shaking my head, I held myself against the cold, with only a knit shawl to keep me warm. "Not here," I whisper, nodding to the window. He turns in time to see the curtain fall back in place, Meredith's silhouette fading in the background.

"Alright, then." He went back inside for two coats and a hat, bringing along his wallet and scarf. We walk a-ways into town, stopping by a local tea shop for coffee and biscuits with decorative coconut macaroons. After we'd found a table between the door and the fireplace, with only the broad front window for company, he asked again, "What happened?"

"My mother was hung as a witch," I stirred honey in my tea. "That part was true. But it wasn't the whole truth."

He waited, but I could see how he bit his lip in anticipation. Eagerness lit his eyes.

"The whole truth is...the sisterhood. Did your mother tell me how it fell apart?"

"All she told me is that after your mother's hanging, they were scattered. Well, before, actually." He adjusted in his seat. "My mother moved to the city to be near her mother, who was sick at the time."

I nodded. "Mine came out to help. I remember."

Kelan remained quiet.

"She didn't succeed," I reaffirmed his suspicions.

"Is that why you don't think you can?"

I shook my head. "My powers are only half that of my mother's. I'm no witch. Just an herbalist."

"But you've a talent. And a passion." He smiled.

I gratefully returned it before continuing on with the story. "After my mom's hanging, the sisterhood disappeared. It's rumored that some of them branched off to form a smaller coven in a place called Hemlock Grove, but noone has seen or heard anything of them since. They're either in hiding or have disbanded altogether. Every member left Northester, of that I'm certain."

"So...why didn't you?" He blinked.

Tears came to my eyes. "Because of what I did."

A heavy silence fell between us and I swallowed the lump in my throat before adding, "I turned them in. With the help of old man Gerrett. I was convinced what they were doing was evil. I'm not going to say I was brainwashed by the church, because I knew my mom, and I KNEW she could be evil." The tears were falling now, and I sniffed. My lips trembled as I whispered, "I was a victim, too, you know. And...a part of me wanted to turn her in. To see her suffer. Recant. To be sorry for all the wrong things she ever did. To be my MOTHER again.

"But that's not the way of it." I straightened, composing myself. "As soon as they had their evidence, and even more- a child who's suffered at the hands of one, they took action. I never meant for it to be taken as far as it did, but my mother was hung.'

"Fresca's mother was a member back then. She took pity on me. Mrs. Potts forgave me, even though she had been close to my mother. But over the years, I kept wanting to make amends. With my mother's shop and trying to do all these good deeds to make up for that really horrible one I can never take back."

Kelan remained quiet, sitting there. Just listening.

I finished with, "If I did have any real power...I would want to redo that day all over."