23

I wake up, a large beam of sunlight sneaking through my window, shining on my face. I rubmy eyes, slowly forcing myself to sit up. I notice my mother's small petite figure staring back at me intensely. Smiling, she trudged next to me. Plotting herself on the edge of my bed, in silence.

I picked at my fingers, "Hey." I muttered.

"Kendi." She said my name flatly , showing no emotion on her face.

"What is truly going on." She questioned.

I became lost for words, how would I be able to explain this.

"Mom-" I muttered before getting cut off.

"No. First your getting shot. Then going missing." She paused, "Do you want me to get high blood pressure and die?" She raised her voice.

I discreetly roll my eyes, "Mom the shooting thing." I shrug. " I don't know, I was just minding my business and someone shot me. It's nothing to do with me I promise." And it really was true, I was minding my business.

"Are you in a gang?" She whispered.

"What?" I shouted, "No? Me in a gang?" I shook my head.

"I cry when I get shouted out how can I be in a gang." I pull a face.

"Mhm okay. But why did you go missing?" She asked. That was the question I was dreading. I gave up and decided to just tell her what happened.

....

After explaining the situation she looked at me in shock, her glossy hazel eyes staring at me deeply.
I scratched the back of my neck, feeling uncomfortable and awkward.

"I'm so sorry." She pulled me tightly into a hug, sniffing.I sat in silence. Pulling away she rubbed my arm sympathetically.
She walked out of my room leaving me to sit in silence.

I get up trudging to the bathroom, walking past Kentrells room. Hesitantly, I turn and stare. He looks up at me blankly. I chew my lip feeling bad for what I had said yesterday, he kisses his teeth. Looking down at his phone and grinning.

I look down , doubling my steps to the bathroom shutting the door behind me.

Kentrell

I kiss my teeth, watching Kendi squirrel away. If it was a mistake so be it. I'm tired of waiting on her, I've tried to make my feelings clear.

I sigh.

My fingers hovering over "Tyharna's" new Snapchat. I glanced around the room, debating wether I should entertain it or not.

"Fuck it." I shrug, half sliding her message.

"I'm really feeling you, I can't lie."
I kiss my teeth, that's what they all say. I leave her on deliver and crash back onto my bed. Shutting my eyes and floating into deep deep thought. I rudely was interrupted by the buzz of my phone, I groan.

"You got a job." The deep voice said, I pulled a face.

"And who's this?" I question, sending me demands like I knew them.

"It's scar."

A shiver ran down my spine, he was back? He had a death sentence, for mass murder.

"Your back?" I stutter, placing a finger in my ear to see if I was hearing right.

"Yeah I'm back." He chuckled,before bursting into a fit of coughs.

"Kentrell, my young g. How have you been though?" He questioned.

I hesitate before answering. "I've been cool."

"How's mumzy?" I could hear him grin, he really was a dangerous person. You had to be careful of your use of words around him, the slightest things could set him off. He was a psychopath and I mean it.

"She's calm." I flatly reply.

"No problems?" He questioned.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"On road."

"Nah." I lie, I didn't have the effort or time to explain what was going on, he could find out for himself.

"Not that I know of." I add.

"I might be an old fuck, but I'm not dumb." He muttered, I gulped.

"Care to explain about the shooting?" He asked.

"I don't know, I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. No one knows who it is." I lie. Within me I knew there was more to the situation.

I hear him pause, "Well that's why I'm calling, we are gonna find who it was." He says.

I cover the phone speaker kissing my teeth, I wasn't in the mood to be doing all of this. The road life wasn't for me, if I really could go back I'd re-evaluate my decisions.

I groan, "How?"

"You know me." I could imagine the grin placed on his face.

And with that he cut the call. I stare at the wall, shit really has gotten real.

-Short chapter I know.