27

Procrastinating, I dial Kendi's number. My finger hovering over the call button.

"You finished?" He hurriedly asks, frowning and kissing his teeth every now and then.

I shake my head, and look back at the phone. Unable to bring myself to do it, how would I start?

"Hello, I got sent to a mental asylum and I've escaped."

There was no easy way to explain it, I shake my head and dial Simi's number. Hoping she could be a little more understanding.

It goes to voicemail immediately and I suck my teeth, pressing call again. Waiting whilst the number rang.

"Hello?" Her husky voice, gave me a warm feeling.

"It's Amara." I exclaim, excited to let her know I was still here.

I heard her sigh heavily, a few giggles being heard in the background.

"Who's Amara?" She questions, mockingly.

"Me, Kendi's Amara." I remind her, smiling again.

"Oh."

"Yeah, I've missed you." I squeal.

"What do you want?" She asks rudely , snapping at me.

The smile on my face drops and my eyes become Misty, my emotions were now mixed up. The smallest things could set me off.

"What do you mean?.." I ask, unable to finish my question feeling overwhelmed.

"You've belled my phone for what?"

"Why are you being so rude? You left me. Didn't even bother to check on how I was doing, I allowed that. I have now been the person calling YOU and you are now being rude?" I rant, chewing on my lip.

"It's not by force, don't bell me again. I don't want some next mad woman calling me." She kissed her teeth, and a group of girls laughing.

I cut the call, I sat on the bonnet of the car. Shocked, lost for words even. This really was the prime example of people could change.

I shake my head and hop off, stamping back to the passenger side. The gravel crunching under my feet.

I toss the phone back at him, not uttering a word. Feeling his eyes burn into me.

"What?" He asks, his words now muffled due to the fact he had been stuffing his face.

"Forget it." I shrug it off, putting on my seat belt and shutting my eyes tightly.

"You got somewhere to stay?" He asks, starting the car.

That was what set me off, me Amara. Now alone, no where to live. No money to my name, nothing. Lost everything.

I shake my head, looking down at my lap and fiddling with my fingers.

I quickly glance up at him, his jet black curls shielding his eyes. He looks up at me sadly.

"What." I ask, starting to feel uncomfortable.

"It's okay you know." He rubs my shoulder.

I nod, feeling at ease.

The car remained silent, we were the only ones left. Since his friends had to go.